Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |

tree cutting

I have a tree that needs to com down. One direction is the house, another direction is the septic tank, another is a mound system, and the last direction is more trees. Can I drop the tree on the mound system or the drainge field?

Xanderdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

tree cutting

If you have the skill, and the tree is straight enough, you could drop it anywhere. If you are asking what is the optimum place to drop the tree, well that would depend on how big the tree is. I have dropped some 60 foot tall, 24 inch diameter white pines over my septic system, and one over my septic tank, with no problems. Whether your specific system can withstand the impact is a matter of how deep the tank is buried, and how far below grade the field is.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Learning by Doing

tree cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanderdre View Post
I have a tree that needs to com down. One direction is the house, another direction is the septic tank, another is a mound system, and the last direction is more trees. Can I drop the tree on the mound system or the drainge field?
The cheap and dirty way to get good advice for this is to call a big tree company and have them come out to give you an estimate for removing the tree. Ask lots of questions about how they would drop it.

Then again.... if you don't know... you probably shouldn't be cutting it down yourself.

Also, real tree companies can drop trees, section-by-section, in place. I've had two removed that had no where to 'fall'. So they cut them into 4 foot pieces and dropped them almost directly down. One of them had to have each section lowered by rope and pulley because it was so close to structures.