Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Share |

Tree/Bushes too close to the house

I had posted the other thread about other trees but this is a little different situation.

Pic One - There are two trees one circled in yellow and one red. The Yellow one has not been well since the storm the red one has gone nuts. The problem is both of these are too close to the house. When the previous owners planted them they only planted them a foot from the house. The branches are leaning up against the house. They need to go. Short of attacking them with the chainsaw (tempting as it is) What is the best way to get rid of them. Do I just chop em down and then what?

Pic two shows what happens when they are not kept in line. When we moved in the crew that helped us clear the yard trimmed these way back.
Attached Thumbnails
Tree/Bushes too close to the house-tree-1.jpg   Tree/Bushes too close to the house-tree-2.jpg  

forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Dig them out, pull them out with a truck, have someone with a back hoe pop them out.

If the roots are not also pulled out what's left in the ground will grow back or rot which will attract termites.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht

Good points Joe, sounds like a job for the manly man truck instead of the girly truck - He hates it when I drive it.

Any advantage to chopping them hitting them with some kind of poison and then pulling them out after a month or so? Does it make a difference on pulling it out if the roots are alive or dead?

I hear you on the termites found a tube yesterday so that is one of the main reasons they are going.

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
DIY staff

Don't cut back the tops---you may want the tops to tie a rope or chain around-----a shovel--saws all--and hatchet will help to cut the roots----
forcedreno2012 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #5

Might want to give Miss Utility a call to mark any lines if there underground.
forcedreno2012 (04-23-2013), oh'mike (04-23-2013)