Toro 74330 - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toro 74330

I can only get this machine to click - tries to turn over - but will stop - kills the battery very fast - I have replace the plug - gas filter - oil and bought a new battery. What next - could it be the solenoid!

Advertisement

k graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Toro 74330

Quote:
Originally Posted by k graham View Post
I can only get this machine to click - tries to turn over - but will stop - kills the battery very fast - I have replace the plug - gas filter - oil and bought a new battery. What next - could it be the solenoid!

It could be the solenoid, or it could be that there is too much voltage drop across all of the safety switches to allow the solenoid to function properly. Temporarily bypass all of the safety switches to see if the solenoid/starter operate correctly. If yes, then track down the offending safety switch. If not, replace solenoid/starter.

Advertisement

moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Toro 74330

Quote:
I replace the Solenoid now as well - it still just clicks - drains the battery - however I notice now when I hooked up the positive cable to the battery first - the ground cable sparked when I put it on - any ideas!
k graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Toro 74330

Quote:
I replace the Solenoid now as well - it still just clicks - drains the battery - however I notice now when I hooked up the positive cable to the battery first - the ground cable sparked when I put it on - any ideas!

I would expect a little spark if you have the key on. If you had the key off, you must have a short somewhere.

How quickly is the battery draining? If your battery is draining fast even though you're not turning over the engine, other things are wrong.

Do you have a battery charger with a current meter on the front? I would disconnect the battery from the system and connect the charger directly to the battery cables on the mower. With the key off, is the mower drawing any current? If the answer is "yes" then start pulling fuses until the current goes to zero. Find the offending circuit and start looking for short circuits.
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote