Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 168

Topsoil height when seeding

Before seeding, should the topsoil height be the same as the surrounding grade to allow for settling, or should it be the same height? If higher, how much higher? We are seeding where our pool used to be, and I'm trying to figure out if I need more topsoil. Thanks.

Jim McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,032

Don't know, but assuming that you maybe have 6" or so of loosened soil on top after digging out the sand and adding soil, I would probably keep it up about 1/2", maybe more in the center if it was deeper there. What I usually do though, if I'm concerned enough, is spread the soil to about where I think it should be, then plant my feet firmly in a few areas, see how it feels compared to the surrounding soil, check the height, fluff my footprints back up, then add more soil if it needs it, or just seed.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 544

After spreading the topsoil, roll it out with a roller (one of those plastic jobs that you fill with water). You'll likely have to add more soil (roll again) to get the grade to match. Then seed and re-roll. If you don't compact the topsoil, it's going to be bumpy after it settles on its own.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

Thanks. I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether to seed now or wait til spring, from local landscape supply houses. A couple said the seed may freeze and need to be redone in the spring, and a couple said it will be dormant and come up in the spring just fine. I'd rather get more topsoil and do it now. I already bought the seed and straw. I was also told if I wait til spring I may have to rototill again, and I DO NOT want to do that. What do you guys think? I live about 25 miles west of Milwaukee, WI. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

Ideally, you would have seeded in late August/early September. I don't like seeding in the spring due to the weed seed that can quickly take over. It's probably too cool now for the seed to germinate, but that will depend upon the type of grass you plant. I have seeded late in the fall with the intent that the seed freeze and germinate in the spring. I think it was successful.

I doubt you will need to rototill if you wait. You will need to loosen the surface so the seed has some place to go. If you can afford to waste seed, sow it now. If you can't then wait for spring.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

Thanks. I was told today that if I seed now, I do not need to water it because it will be dormant. Is that correct?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

Correct. You don't want it to germinate.