Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Top of Elm tree not growing straight

Hi,

I purchased my first house a couple months ago when it was VERY dry. There were two young trees in the front that had not been taken care of.

I pruned them, put in a couple fertilizer spikes, and started watering them daily. One of the trees was so bent over that I put a support rod in it - it was so bad that the top of the tree was nearly pointing down.

Two months later, they both look much better, but the bent over top did not correct itself since I could not reach it with the support rod.

Here's a picture of what it looks like now. It still looks bad, but it's much better than two months ago.

I don't want it growing like this forever. What do I do?

If it was growing straight, the top would be a good 12ft tall. Do I add another support rod all the way to the top??

Stakes aren't really an option, because the trunk is so wobbly.

GordonFreemanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

My experience on such trees is to not worry about them. Most often, they straighten themselves. If, after a couple of years, they don't, then you could deal with it at that time.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
My experience on such trees is to not worry about them. Most often, they straighten themselves. If, after a couple of years, they don't, then you could deal with it at that time.

I agree

elm?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I'd probably pull that splint off the tree as well. The cells in the trunk of the tree grow in response to bending stress. If you keep splinting it and babying it, it will grow into a big wobbly noodle. Plus, that splint is forcing the new branches to NOT grow on the opposite side of the tree which would naturally tend to counterbalance the droop.

Pull the splint off, let the tree grow for a few seasons. It knows what to do better than you, believe me. I'd be surprised if it didn't straighten up in a season or two.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote