Too Late To Start Seeds? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
It's always something

Rewards Points: 150

Too late to start seeds?

I'm still doing some research but thought maybe someone here could give me some experienced information.

I bought some poppies, true lavender, and delphinium seeds last night along with some of those biodegradable trays so that my kids and I can have something to do along with me trying to spark their interest in this stuff

I am led to believe that I should've started any kind of seeds back in January? Can someone tell me if this project will be a failure so I don't waste my time and lose the interest of my kids?

Thanks!

Advertisement

SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Too late to start seeds?

Depends on where you are in the country...I came from Virginia and used to start them about a month before the frost window closed, so they would be somewhat strong when I moved them outdoors.

I'm in Texas now and I started my annuals in trays about two weeks. I'll plant them in about two more weeks. You can start them now, you just won't get as much time out of them as if you started them early on.

(That being said, my annuals are still alive from last year. Gotta love Texas winter!)

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Too late to start seeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleGuy View Post
I'm still doing some research but thought maybe someone here could give me some experienced information.

I bought some poppies, true lavender, and delphinium seeds last night along with some of those biodegradable trays so that my kids and I can have something to do along with me trying to spark their interest in this stuff

I am led to believe that I should've started any kind of seeds back in January? Can someone tell me if this project will be a failure so I don't waste my time and lose the interest of my kids?

Thanks!
Mid-March? I'd start them inside. Why not give it a try? The worst that's going to happen is you'll need to transplant them.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Too late to start seeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Mid-March? I'd start them inside. Why not give it a try? The worst that's going to happen is you'll need to transplant them.
I agree.

Kids tend to do better with seeds that germinate faster and more dramatically though. If you can stand them, you might grab some marigolds.

I have never had much luck with peat pellets or those kits that come with cubed soil or whatever so if you got either, I would take them back and get some peat pots and good old planting mix.

As Dr. Hicks mentioned, if it came time to move them outside, you can plant the peat pot and everything. Planting late will not really hurt anything but that temps may effect blooming and stress young plants.

As for timing, the package should tell you when to plant for your region? Here people tempt fate putting established plants in before Mother's Day because we can get snap frosts up until then.

By the way, if the seeds don't work out, the kids will get behind bedding plants they can take ownership in too. I used to do a lot of high-end container and city garden design and clients' kids really got into helping put them together and were often better at keeping them watered than their parents.

If you have space, things like melons kids can watch grow fast and then eat are sometimes more fun than just flowers.

Have fun. I am sure they will enjoy this and the time you spend with them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
It's always something

Rewards Points: 150

Too late to start seeds?

Thanks for the replies! So far, the seeds are already sprouting out of the little peat pellets which is really cool to my kids I really like the melon idea. I really want a small garden and that would be another great activity for my kids. We loves some watermelon
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Too late to start seeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleGuy View Post
Thanks for the replies! So far, the seeds are already sprouting out of the little peat pellets which is really cool to my kids I really like the melon idea. I really want a small garden and that would be another great activity for my kids. We loves some watermelon
Melon plants do take up some space and need lots of water. They do make a hybrid watermelon I have seen that is small and round.

Seeds are fun. I am far from a kid but still enjoy watching things sprout and so forth. The problem I have usually had with the pellets is the planting suffer damping off before they get big enough to transplant. Maybe you will get lucky. I would try my suggestion if you get more seeds. Get peat planters and fill with potting soil.

How about some carrots? Beans (you will need something for them to climb on)? Lettuce and brocolli?

I have observed that kids that get involved with growing veges actually, almost, like eating them.

One fun thing about seeds is you can get varieties growers cannot afford to bother with.

Don't go crazy and plot out your garden ahead of time. I can send you some fun software for doing this. Think about installing inexpensive drip irrigation if there is a danger watering will become a detested chore.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
SingleGuy (03-14-2012)