Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Share |

Tips for landscaping trees on solid rock!!!

Hello, We just bought a home on a foundation of solid rock. There are a few HUGE pine trees on the property and the neighbors have some large trees but they are no longer living there to give me tips on how to grow trees here.

Does anyone know how to landscape on this terrain? I believe it is from a lava flow.

We currently have 15" of dirt that the previous owner brought in to grow grass - but he didn't plant any trees out back.

I don't want to go the trouble and expense of putting trees and shrubs in the ground that will die. Do I need to add more dirt? Or drill down into the rock? Do I need to start with smaller trees so that their roots will find their way through the rock?

One problem about this home: Our back yard faces the street which is busy! So we're looking to add privacy, shade and noise reduction (along with the existing fence).

Thanks Everyone! Cindy

Cindyhello03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
the Musigician

Tall hedgerows would probably be your best bet then. Most large trees cannot grow in 15" of soil. They'd get "so" big, then the first stiff wind would rip them right up, leaving a mess in the yard. Hedge roots will bind together and stabilize the soil and use it as a giant anchor to stand up to wind.

Hope this helps.

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DangerMouse For This Useful Post:
Cindyhello03 (06-15-2010)
Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

I would start by calling a local pro. I tried searching for some answers but was rewarded woth nothing signifigant. Trees would need more than 15 " of soil but there may be trees native to your region that will root down into the lava flows. When they plant palms in Cali and Fl. They stay staked for a long time to because the roots take time to develop. You may have to go that route. Good Luck.
Where ya live by the way, Hawaii?
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Bushman had a goot comment about the obvious omission of a location on your profile. - It is especially important when it comes to suggesting the right landscaping plants.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #5

Do you think hedges can be planted in 15" of soil? I always thought hedges took a long time to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Bushman had a goot comment about the obvious omission of a location on your profile. - It is especially important when it comes to suggesting the right landscaping plants.

Dick
Central Oregon. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I would start by calling a local pro. I tried searching for some answers but was rewarded woth nothing signifigant. Trees would need more than 15 " of soil but there may be trees native to your region that will root down into the lava flows. When they plant palms in Cali and Fl. They stay staked for a long time to because the roots take time to develop. You may have to go that route. Good Luck.
Where ya live by the way, Hawaii?
I live in Central Oregon. I know what you mean! I've tried all sorts of searches with no answers. Yea, I should go to the landscape nursery and ask questions. It is just very hard for me to get out as I have problems driving to health (pain) issues. I also don't get on the computer much but this is a rare day. The previous answer about hedges (sigh) probably would be wise as our house is on a hill and it can get really windy up here (while our neighbors are not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Tall hedgerows would probably be your best bet then. Most large trees cannot grow in 15" of soil. They'd get "so" big, then the first stiff wind would rip them right up, leaving a mess in the yard. Hedge roots will bind together and stabilize the soil and use it as a giant anchor to stand up to wind.

Hope this helps.

DM
Hmmm... I thought I replied but I don't see it! I have seen Italian Cypress being sold at a grocery story. Don't hedges take a looong time to grow? I am working on getting more soil out back, maybe adding 6 to 8 more inches. But I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble and expense if I won't be able to plant what I desire.

How deep does the soil need to be to plant bushes?
Cindyhello03 is offline   Reply With Quote