Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tips to have good draning around foundation

I have recently bought a new home and the lot is on the corner. The slop of the yard is not extremely step but there is no real direction for the run off water. I looked into adding dirt around the foundation but the vents for the crawlspace are at ground level. Any ideas on how to keep the water away from the foundation?

pontorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 152

How are your gutters? Do they function properly? Are they fastened securely? Sometimes they can start to pull away and rain water can slip behind them dumping it right close to the house and foundation.

strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,984

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ells&FORM=IGRE
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #4

The gutters are good they have pips to Carey the water away from the house but I think I need to creat a trench of some kind that will take the water around the house.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,984

Google french drain.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

If I do that will I have to have rocks going throw the middle of my yard?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 152

If done right probably yeah. It can be buried though so I don't see what the problem would be.
strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #8

I guess what I am trying to say is I like grass and I don't like the idea of seeing a line of rocks in the middle of the yard. Can you plant grass over the rocks? I feel like that would defeat the purpose though
Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Yes, you're using a below topsoil trench as a way to catch the water before it rolls all the way to the house. The idea is the water runs along the slope and then down into the trench. The idea is the subsoil beneath the topsoil is hard and the water is skimming along on top of it. Around here that's a layer of clay. The water can't soak down in fast enough to eventually evaporate. So when the water soaks through the top layer of soil it hits the clay and then follows that surface (more or less) downhill until it finds a better path to take.

A trench (named after some guy called French) gives it that better path to take. Once down there it both runs along the drain to a better location and also percolates out into the surrounding soil. This is why the pipe will have holes in it and have gravel around it. Water wants to take the easiest route downhill. That's just gravity in action. You place the trench to facilitate that happening.

Our new house actually requires all downspouts from the roof to go into underground cisterns. There the water can collect and percolate out. This keeps the water on-site and not dumped into the storm water system.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote