This Time I'm Doing The SOD Work Myself - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
I love my new front yard!

Rewards Points: 150
Exclamation

This time I'm doing the SOD work myself

But I'm not sure how to do it right so I'm looking for pointers..

At the top of the below picture is a gate that needs to open from time to time & I plan to leave the drainage pipe on the right there as a boarder between the sod & the house.

I was figuring that having a slope from the foot of the picture to the gate top left might be a good idea for drainage toward my hedges outside the gate.

How much slope is best?
What should I do before laying the Sod besides a top soil mix?
I'm just starting out with this tiny area as a learning project before I start taking on the back yard.

I plan to have St Agustine being this will be be where the dog hangs out & from what I've learned, for dogs your pretty much best off with St Agustine?

Advertisement

Telfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

The slope is up to you and what the terrain may dictate. Once the sod is installed keep it watered/soaked for a while to encourage root expansion and to keep the soil soft so as to accept the roots.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 610

If this is where the dogs hang out then sod is never going to last for long.
I'd use some form of stone so the dogs will not dig and the urine will just soak into the soil below.
1/4" per foot no matter what you put down.

Last edited by joecaption; 11-30-2011 at 08:48 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
I love my new front yard!

Rewards Points: 150

The dog is not even a sperm at this point so the SOD will have plenty of time to settle in before we get our dog.

The dog will have the whole yard to hang out in but my wife tends to hang out at the back door when she smokes so that will probably were the dog sits with her when she's out there, So I figured its a good place to start with my learning experience.
Telfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Tileguy

Go for it, it will be fine for a while as long as the dog(s) don't urinate there constantly.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Got to prep the soil for sod almost more than you would for seed. You cannot just lay it down on top of what you are showing you know. You need to turn that soil up, ammend it, add some nutrients and balance Ph. A rototiller is in your future. Then rake it flat. Saturate it and then press your new sod into the saturated soil with a roller. Then keep it moist. Biggest problem with sod failure in California is that it is never bonded with the soil. It grows in its own layer and takes tons of water to ever reach roots down and grab that native. St. Augistine has shallow roots to start.

You sure you want something you have to navigate a mower around in that narrow area? What about some 12x12 or 24x24 pavers with something green you did not have to mow in the joints? Irish or Scotch moss (not moss at all) would be lowest growing. Other possibilities galore. And some nice ground cover on the sides and to hide that pipe? Ornamental strawberry or even needlepoint ivy and you will have something that looks great and will tolerate your beast, if the puppy turns into some 200 pound, truckload of dog chow per day, beast.

Last edited by user1007; 12-01-2011 at 10:01 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
You sure you want something you have to navigate a mower around in that narrow area?
Get a goat.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Get a goat.
Amazing animals. Bud I know you were joking but the little miniature ones would be perfect for keeping that little patch of grass trimmed.

I was caretaker for a goat ranch in Livermore, CA one summer. Owners were a teacher and a super high tech guy that sold printers and plotters. Their kids got them into goats through 4H which was hilarious at first since they were both from Chicago and city people. I will always be a mix of country and city I suppose although I trust the latter more these days.

Anyhow goat milk was a big deal and there was a line longer than the supply every morning. Apparently livestock offspring abandoned by their mothers can drink goat milk and not get sick. Lactose intolerant human infants too I am told. So I milked goats a couple times a day.

I am not going to milk a miniature goat in LA. I hate California and hope never to have to set foot in the State again. 20 years of nonsense was enough.

I am not going to make bagpipes out of a dead goat either because it only ate St. Augustine sod. I found this through my fave site, Crappy Taxidermy!

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 12-01-2011 at 12:15 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote