Tiered Retaining Wall Up Against House Holding Water? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Tiered retaining wall up against house holding water?

The side of my house slopes from the front of the house to the rear. There is a three tier retaining wall there that I think may be holding water. They did not use a fabric to keep dirt/mud from clogging the pavers and I don't see any weeping holes. Each tier is about 2 1/2 foot tall and it's just a flower bed. They also used landscaping fabric to keep down the weeds. Which doesn't work. The slope away from the house for the flower bed isn't that good either.

I'm looking for ways to help this area dry out between rains. I know I'll work on the slope a little but also looking for other ideas.

Thanks!

Tiered retaining wall up against house holding water?-image-3523543448.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by bestways; 12-04-2012 at 06:11 PM.
bestways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 568

Post a picture.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Tiered retaining wall up against house holding water?-image-2883307112.jpg
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

You need a drain----remove one of the lower blocks and route a perforated pipe to it--run the pipe all around the perimeter about 12" below the surface---

Yes ,that's a lot of work---Been there and done it---poor planning by the original builder---

I'd drill the block and then split it out using a cold chisel----------
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,010

"I'm looking for ways to help this area dry out between rains. I know I'll work on the slope a little but also looking for other ideas."----------- move it all and add steps up the grade sloped slightly away from the house foundation (save your sill plates/studs; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...sture-problems

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

Gary
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

You probably have the wrong kind of soil behind the segmental retaining walls and no perforated drain pipe to draw the moisture away.

With the wrong soil knocks holes will do little good since there are already open vertical joints, but the soil is holding the moisture.

The soil that is good for growing things, is really bad as the major soil behind the wall and that is why it is usually just a layer on top of the soil behind the wall.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #7

Thanks for all the replies!

I really want to keep the flower beds but am willing to put in the work to keep it dry. Putting a plan in based on the threads. Will this work:

1- start at the bottom tier and remove soil. Check and fill with correct soil and use gravel along the retaining wall to promote drainage. Work my way up and do the same for the top tier. I will also remove some of the blocks farther away from the house so that I can get a proper slope away from the house.

Does this sound like a good start or should I also try to incorporate the drain? If so, can you provide more detail on installing this. I would hate to go through the work and it not turn out. Of course anything will be better than the current setup.

This was done by a professional landscaping crew a year before we bought the house. We bought the house about five years ago...

Last edited by bestways; 12-05-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

Any thoughts on the plan. I plan on doing this early spring or even earlier if weather permits...

Advertisement