Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Share |

for those down by the SEA...or water?

caught my neighbor having pillings yanked from an old docking with the barnacles intacted slammed them into my front yard rope and all...then clipped/dug up some sea grass from the shore line...with sand.....bouys to follow up and some shells and it cost nothing just your imagination....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Not a good idea to take plants from natural habitat for home landscaping or the environment can suffer when it gets out of hand. I know a few clumps of sea grass does not seem like a big deal but if everybody starts taking a clump it gets out of hand in a hurry.

I like that you rescued the old piling. Driftwood used to be a big deal on the West Coast. With a little sandblasting it made nice table bases but as it was seemed nice for coastal properties. Again, things got out of hand with people dragging pieces across the plant life so the conversation people had to start handing out fines.

I remember reading a couple years ago a beachfront community in Oregon successfully extended their season by working with local glass blowers. The glass people made simple floats and hid them along the beach. People came to find them and end up staying in town and spending money in seasonal restaurants a little longer.

Last edited by user1007; 05-13-2012 at 03:18 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #3

the grass was borrowed from a neighbors backyard that has docking and beach sand slowly working on to his property.i could always replant it when the town comes a knockin'.guy up the street had 10' high sea grass blocking his view to the bay with a foot path to a floating dock....he had his lawn guy cut it all down to the sand 10' X 20' area now that is serious damage....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Ok. I am off your case.

People forgot how fragile seaside environments can be. I know the Pacific Ocean better than the Atlantic but people thought it was no big deal to take a single giant starfish from the tidepools in Monterey Bay. Taking just one wouldn't really matter right? Conservation patrols had to start handing out hefty fines and even putting people in jail overnight to get the point across that 1x1,000s with the same thinking was damaging.

I remember a new immigrant population with language barrier issues that just didn't get the difference between filling a bucket full of clams or muscles and a pickup truck bed.

And then there was a certain Governor that went on to be president that was worse than all combined environmentally. Amazing California still has a fairly pristine coastline.

And in your case, with NY attitude, the guy who chopped down his sea grass is complaining the loudest somebody should do something for him about blowing sand? Right?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #5

your 100% right on not touching natures stuff ....saw Ken Burns-National Park series when back in the early years after TRs push to preserve the future the visitors were cutting the trees down for camp fire wood and had the army sent in to stop the chopping.you might be interested in Smithsonian Channel just saw "Aerial America" they went up the California coast cool show