Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Is there a non-flowering clover I can put into my lawn?

I would love to have a grass/clover mixed lawn. For me, clover clearly rules the roost when it comes to color / drought / etc., except for durability. Wish I had it back when my Golden Retrievers were alive (burned and then dark green spots. LOL)

But I can't stand the look of white clover once it flowers. I don't think it can be mowed short enough to prevent it, can it? Is there an alternative clover?

I found references to non-flowering clover online, but it all had to do with some genetic discussion of mutation.

tgm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I don't think there is a replacment for white clover. It does well in the lawn because it can grow so short and avoid the blades of a mower. Red clover grows too tall, crimson clover is absolutely gorgeous but an annual in MA and grows like the red clover... it would easily be taken out by blades.

I have tried red, crimson, and white in my lawn (I love clover too) and only the white can survive. If you like clover I highly recommend getting some crimson clover just to see it. It is stunningly beautiful. Put some seeds in your lawn and try not to mow that area... being an annual it won't be back next year (though you are on the border so if the winter isn't too bad it will come back. A hard/normal winter will kill it off).

Last edited by Piedmont; 06-08-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #3

Microclover doesn't flower that I know of. I just bought some and can tell you in a few months =p
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
Microclover doesn't flower that I know of. I just bought some and can tell you in a few months =p
Most of the microclover references I find refer to it as "white microclover". By the way, I wouldn't mind flowering, so long as it is consistently taller than the cutting height.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Most of the microclover references I find refer to it as "white microclover". By the way, I wouldn't mind flowering, so long as it is consistently taller than the cutting height.
I ordered from these folks via Amazon (mostly because their site didn't want to play nice.) Most of the yards in my area are covered in the white clover so it doesn't really look out-of-place. According to what I've researched having it in your yard was a good thing up until 20 or so years ago when the broadleaf poisons starting advertising heavily.

I'm actually thinking about clovering as much of my yard as possible. I like it more than grass
Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
I ordered from these folks via Amazon (mostly because their site didn't want to play nice.) Most of the yards in my area are covered in the white clover so it doesn't really look out-of-place. According to what I've researched having it in your yard was a good thing up until 20 or so years ago when the broadleaf poisons starting advertising heavily.

I'm actually thinking about clovering as much of my yard as possible. I like it more than grass
Well the date I keep reading is 1950 as the turning point. It didn't have to do with herbicides, but just a shifting toward that solid green notion. It's all BS anyway quite frankly. If dandelions were hard to grow they'd be carefully placed into gardens. I personally love the things until they become all seed parachutes.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Well the date I keep reading is 1950 as the turning point. It didn't have to do with herbicides, but just a shifting toward that solid green notion. It's all BS anyway quite frankly. If dandelions were hard to grow they'd be carefully placed into gardens. I personally love the things until they become all seed parachutes.
a rose by any other name

dandelion green's are actually pretty healthy. I tried to seed some in a planter but it didn't work so well... I'm going to try transplanting next year. /nerd
Old 07-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #8

Hmmm....well looking closely at a kind of clover in my yard. It seems that it produces a very small yellow flower at a higher height. If it were mowed short it might never flower (?). I wonder what it might be. Looks a little frail though.

Regardless of what I find, how do I nuke out the white clover in a way that permits another clover to grow? Do I have to wait until the following year for the herbicide to wash out?