Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |

Terracing a yard

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a house which has a 1/4 acre lot. Unfortunately, the lot is sloped, making a good chunk of it unusable for most purposes.

One thing I really wanted to do was build a garage. In the photos below, the white dash lines are the property line. The road is gravel. I would want to build a garage with doors parallel to that white line. Setbacks are 15 ft, but the county is known for giving variances in this area. If I setback 5 feet, a garage would go up to where the tree is in the photo.

I've never done any hardscaping like this before and I'm not sure I'd be willing to try. I think this would be out of my range. But maybe I'm wrong - maybe it's within the range of a DIYer? I'd think you'd need to rent a bobcat/digger of some sort, and I have zero experience with this type of machine. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost just to level this type of area and build a retaining wall? I estimated I'd need to dig 11 feet back (starting where the gravel ends), and at the rear I'd be digging down 4 feet. If it's a 2-car garage, it'd be about 22 feet wide. I guess that should equate to about 484 cuFT of dirt to be moved: (22*11*4)/2.

The 3rd image shows roughly the footprint it would occupy.

rickjames8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Terracing a yard

Just going to have to make some local calls to find out pricing. Ball park #'s will do you 0 good.
I'd start by laying out where you think you want to build a garage and see if they'll let you do it and go from there.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

Terracing a yard

Thanks Joe. If I owned the house, I would certainly do that. However, we just looked at it today. I don't really know orders of magnitude here. Would this be in the hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands? If it's the latter, I'd pass on the house.
rickjames8 is offline   Reply With Quote