Terminal Post Size For 6 Foot Fence - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 248

terminal post size for 6 foot fence

I'm having trouble with the math behind terminal posts. All the ones I see at Home Depot and Lowes are max 8 feet height. Online how-to manuals say the terminal post should be 30 inches underground and leave 4 inches above fence top. With a 6 foot fence and an 8 foot terminal post those measurements do not fit. Am I not getting something? Do I have to look and buy some custom 10 foot terminal posts?

Advertisement

jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 4,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwashere View Post
I'm having trouble with the math behind terminal posts. All the ones I see at Home Depot and Lowes are max 8 feet height. Online how-to manuals say the terminal post should be 30 inches underground and leave 4 inches above fence top. With a 6 foot fence and an 8 foot terminal post those measurements do not fit. Am I not getting something? Do I have to look and buy some custom 10 foot terminal posts?
yes, try a fence supply house

Advertisement

Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
yes, try a fence supply house
Bingo, get away from that cheap azz tin foil gauge posts....

commercial fence supply is the way to go....

or 2" sch 40...
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Bingo, get away from that cheap azz tin foil gauge posts....
Hm. I see ads on craigslist. Guy trying to sell some fence material for $69 which I could just as well get for $70 at Lowes or Home Depot. In their ad they say stay away from those "cheap places". Only problem is you look at what they are trying to sell and it is the same gauge as Lowes/Home Depot. The only difference is if I find some leftover material in my garage from a project several years ago I take it to Home Depot and they will take it back no judgement and no reciept. The moment you leave one of these small nickel and dime places it's "get lost" return policy.

I am not against buying something at a small mom and pop shop if there is truly a difference. I see the same gauge on craigslist ads as I see in Home Depot/Lowes. Is there another consideration? Is there a metal it is made of difference?
jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 6,040

Quote:
Is there another consideration? Is there a metal it is made of difference?
Ayuh,.... Ya need a piece of what, 3" pipe,..??
The size that the brackets easily bolt to with the u-bolts,...
I've seen 2, 1/2", 3", 'n 4",......

You can buy that piece of pipe from a box store, a fence place, a plumbin' place, an electrical place, a metal supply place, Wherever,...
It's still heavy wall galvanized steel pipe,.....

The plumbin' place, 'n the electrical place will sell ya 10' lengths, threaded on both ends,...
Cut the threads off if they bother ya,....

The metal supply place, 'n fence place will be bare pipe, cut to ordered length,.....

Buy a full stick of pipe from the steel supply place will probably be the cheapest way out,......

'n bein' a corner post with a gate, ya wanta go deeper, 'n bigger for more concrete, to provide ballast for the gate,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote