Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #1

Share |

Techniques to Plumb High Between Two Stakes to Establish Property Line

Hi Everyone,

I have two stakes on my property corner. I want to run a line (using masonry line, or otherwise) from one corner property stake to the other corner property stake.

However, I have obstacles in the way. So the only way seems to go higher!

What are some techniques to run a line that is high in the sky between to corner property stakes?

Do I first need to install two posts near the property stakes? Or how do I go about doing this? A pole that hangs over the stake and use a plumb? Or?

Any good links that show how to establish your property line using two property stakes and running a line high in the sky to do that?

Thanks in advance!

JasonCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCA View Post
However, I have obstacles in the way. So the only way seems to go higher!
Use an "Offset" of X amount of feet on each pin.

Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenworks For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCA View Post
What are some techniques to run a line that is high in the sky between to corner property stakes?

Do I first need to install two posts near the property stakes?
A pole that hangs over the stake and use a plumb?
Or?
Or go wayyyyyyyy high in the sky just like surveyors use:
http://www.landsurveyors.com/tools/land-surveying-gps/
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Or go wayyyyyyyy high in the sky just like surveyors use:
http://www.landsurveyors.com/tools/land-surveying-gps/
Wow they are going to have an App soon,who woulda thunk,I guess you just can't do anything with common sense anymore.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

It is actually more accurate to use GPS for land surveying, than pole & sight. If you look at some of the old land survey markers that are still around in New England, they go back and forth and also narrow in some places more than they should. And yes, there are already apps out there for surveying.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It is actually more accurate to use GPS for land surveying, than pole & sight. If you look at some of the old land survey markers that are still around in New England, they go back and forth and also narrow in some places more than they should. And yes, there are already apps out there for surveying.
I agree with you 100%, I was more or less wondering how we used to do things.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Chains and poles along with a compass and sight. My brother said that it is safer doing it the new way these days, when it comes to shooting artillery. He studied surveying in the Army, and of course his MOS was no longer needed a couple of years after he got settled in at Ft. Carson.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
My brother said that it is safer doing it the new way these days, when it comes to shooting artillery.
I know all about the safer thing,nothing like being on the wrong side of a short round.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
I wrote an article a few years back about how GPS was used to keep what is now the tallest building in the World square and plumb as it was built.

I have one of the crappiest but functional smartphones out there (I am notorious for running them through the washing machine). I use an app all the time for basic measurements. It will square things too. Promised accuracy of my phone GPS is only 5cm (yes, for those of you who fought conversion to the metric system as international measurement system based on 10? A centimeter is the same as about 1.25 US pints, or 3 British Imperial gallons) though. Will not work for cabinet makers.

I remember last winter a guy fretting about how to build a hockey rink. I told him about the apps. Suggested he put a stake at one corner and just let his smartphone figure out the other corners. Post went away and I must assume young hockey players made it work on some inaccurate hacked out rectangle of ice.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
I wrote an article a few years back about how GPS was used to keep what is now the tallest building in the World square and plumb as it was built.

I have one of the crappiest but functional smartphones out there (I am notorious for running them through the washing machine). I use an app all the time for basic measurements. It will square things too. Promised accuracy of my phone GPS is only 5cm (yes, for those of you who fought conversion to the metric system as international measurement system based on 10? A centimeter is the same as about 1.25 US pints, or 3 British Imperial gallons) though. Will not work for cabinet makers.

I remember last winter a guy fretting about how to build a hockey rink. I told him about the apps. Suggested he put a stake at one corner and just let his smartphone figure out the other corners. Post went away and I must assume young hockey players made it work on some inaccurate hacked out rectangle of ice.
The name of this app?
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Chains and poles along with a compass and sight. My brother said that it is safer doing it the new way these days, when it comes to shooting artillery. He studied surveying in the Army, and of course his MOS was no longer needed a couple of years after he got settled in at Ft. Carson.
Much of my family was career military, even when it was Vietnam era and not popular. I never served in the armed forces I never took orders well and I fully support independent thinking. I think I may have have been part of some US Intel sort of things. I may have been better trained than many in the forces and may have been put near alone in jungles. You get old. You forget.

CATatapults are still the real answer. Your brother knows this but our military refuses to use cats, even those willing to enlist. It would destroy the whole viral LOL CATS thing. It would reduce the ferile population and display the images on tv for misbehaving domestic cats.

Sure we can laser bomb but clearly that has not worked out without something in terms of support on the ground. Robots are cute but expensive. Cats can crank out a litter for next to nothing. I really fear we are going to try such stupidity again. Whomever we elect in November gets stuck with decision. That aside...

Imagine, in the middle of the night, a mean US cat coming through your roof or front door, and taking your eyes out?

Quietly?

Mail me your clawed cats only. All of them. I will turn them into a trained, elite, GPS guided fighting force.

Last edited by user1007; 04-09-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
The name of this app?
I am an Android person. If you are looking for an Apple app. I cannot help you.

I will give you the names of what I use but more important will point you to the categories you might be advised to best explore what apps fit your needs.

Just guessing, this is about some property line dispute and what is built or growing along it?

If it is new development there have to be site drawings on file with some overall reference to a survey marker.

If it is old land, there are survey pins that establish old boundaries. If you really want to push the issue.

If you bought antique property and did not use an attorney to close? Title, even if it goes back a couple hundred years, should have most important information about lending your land.

GPS, between two points or even a laser on plumb sticks will not help you if you do not know the two starting points for the property line.

And then what? Suit your neighbors? For ugly plants? Most states or communities within them have good neighbor tree and planting fencing ordinances. Just ask, under those, they trim, prune or move their plants so they do not encroach on your property. Hungry as most communities in this state are, locals will start slapping fines like tomorrow. Deal done. No court battles.

- Steven

Last edited by user1007; 04-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.