Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |

Tapping an existing 4" PVC yard drain

I have an existing 4" PVC drain line running through my yard for overflow from the pool and concrete patio. I want to tie into it to drain a planter and gutter downspout that flood nearly on whole side of my house. I dont want to use a standard glue on tee and found some saddle tees but they are special order and pricey. Is there any better solution to teeing into the existing 4" PVC pipe?

crza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
I dont want to use a standard glue on tee and found some saddle tees but they are special order and pricey. Is there any better solution to teeing into the existing 4" PVC pipe?
Yes.

Maybe one of the plumbers can identify this for you more accurately than I can but you can get a rubber boot that attaches with a clamp. I'll see if I can search and find you a link. These boots are used on DWV lines that are not pressurized.

Now, do you not want to use glue at all or just on the joint? You could just dry fit all the pieces without glueing- probably.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Here is a photo of something I worked on last year. This is one example of the type of fitting I am talking about. The clamp with the four screws is the part.

Here is another something I found. Look toward the end of the page and you will see an example of how to use the clamps.
http://www.u-repair.com/howto/dwvsystems.php
Attached Thumbnails
Tapping an existing 4" PVC yard drain-hpim0937.jpg  

Last edited by downunder; 06-03-2010 at 05:39 PM.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #4

Thats what I am looking for exactly. I searched until I reached the end of the internet and could not find that. I am ok with glue but was not sure what to do if I had to glue both sides. The rubber boot solves that. Thanks a bunch.
crza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crza1 View Post
Thats what I am looking for exactly. I searched until I reached the end of the internet and could not find that. I am ok with glue but was not sure what to do if I had to glue both sides. The rubber boot solves that. Thanks a bunch.

You can also use a "Fernco" fitting, the one shown is a "No-Hub" typically used on cast iron pipe.
rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
You can also use a "Fernco" fitting,
I could not remember that name to save my life! The no-hubs were the first that I came across to convey a better description at least.

Teamwork RJ!