DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   Taken huge tree out/ grass isn't growing very fast (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/taken-huge-tree-out-grass-isnt-growing-very-fast-180561/)

bsa_bob 05-26-2013 11:23 AM

Taken huge tree out/ grass isn't growing very fast
 
I have A large stump down a few inches[big tree]I have A couple inches of dirt...less than that in few places. I put regular dirt back in...........i think i should have bought "black dirt?" All the grass is back around the spot where the stump is. ..showing grass growth somewhat.What is my best option on getting this grass going good .i have added fertilizer several times. didn't burn it.

Before i throw anymore money at it in fertilizer!... what do you reccomend or suggest? any help i'm very grateful.My wife says "i stand in the kitchen when i get a get a drink, and STARE at the grass out the window.Its not growing fast enough for the amt of fert; i have put on it.:(

TarheelTerp 05-26-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsa_bob (Post 1187962)
I have a couple inches of dirt... less than that in few places.

Grind down on that stump and add more soil

bsa_bob 05-26-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1188022)
Grind down on that stump and add more soil

Can i put just plain old topsoil like they sell at lowes/in bags...or does it have to be real black dirt? thanks tarheel bob s

Canarywood1 05-26-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsa_bob (Post 1188143)
Can i put just plain old topsoil like they sell at lowes/in bags...or does it have to be real black dirt? thanks tarheel bob s


You do know that top soil is a weed repository right???

AllanJ 05-27-2013 09:16 AM

Does the area get enough sun and is it watered adequately and kept moist the rest of the time?

Fix'n it 05-27-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1188022)
Grind down on that stump and add more soil

this.

if you can't grind it down, it may work to drill a BUNCH of holes in it, then fill with soil.

oh'mike 05-27-2013 11:19 AM

fertilizer can do more harm than good with young sprouts of grass.

Keep it watered---shade it with straw and be patient.

That old stump will be causing problems for the next few years---

Rotting wood eats up the nitrogen in the soil---

a shallow layer of soil can only hold so much water--so that area will brown out quickly if not watered regularly.

Mushrooms will spring up----leave them,they are eating the old stump for you.

henrylarry6 05-30-2013 06:44 AM

Keep continuous watch on weed growing and watered it and shade it every time, this much care is enough.

bsa_bob 08-27-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henrylarry6 (Post 1190964)
Keep continuous watch on weed growing and watered it and shade it every time, this much care is enough.


i have green....all the way across this stump.....but its mostly weeds. is stump rot an alternative?in any way?poured full of~~~~~ after drilling the holes? bob s

oh'mike 08-27-2013 08:33 PM

If you don't grind out that stump your grass will be thin and patchy until it rots away---

Healthy grass needs 4 to 6 inches of soil in order to thrive.

Fix'n it 08-27-2013 09:08 PM

bob. like mike said, grass needs a place for it roots to go. a tree stump is not a good place.

if you are on a real budget. you could get an axe and have at it. 6" down shouldn't be terribly hard.

and you have yet to say just how large the stump is.

the holes i was refering to. it could be 100 to well over 1000

chrisn 08-28-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1188743)
fertilizer can do more harm than good with young sprouts of grass.

Keep it watered---shade it with straw and be patient.

That old stump will be causing problems for the next few years---

Rotting wood eats up the nitrogen in the soil---

a shallow layer of soil can only hold so much water--so that area will brown out quickly if not watered regularly.

Mushrooms will spring up----leave them,they are eating the old stump for you.

yes, like 10 - 15, don't ask how I know:furious:

bsa_bob 08-28-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanJ (Post 1188616)
Does the area get enough sun and is it watered adequately and kept moist the rest of the time?

Water it every day!!

bsa_bob 08-28-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fix'n it (Post 1235085)
bob. like mike said, grass needs a place for it roots to go. a tree stump is not a good place.

if you are on a real budget. you could get an axe and have at it. 6" down shouldn't be terribly hard.

and you have yet to say just how large the stump is.

the holes i was refering to. it could be 100 to well over 1000

Stump is 4' across

oh'mike 08-28-2013 07:44 PM

Rent a stump grinder-- or make a raised bed garden above the stump and wait for the stump to rot away----some stumps will rot in 3 to 5 years--Soft maple and Chinese elm--

Others ,like white oak, can take 15 years or longer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved