Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #1

Share |

Take your time, and enjoy the surroundings

My wife in particular loves wrens, so we have a house for them in the front yard, and a few years ago, with some material left over from a flashing project, I even outfitted it with a copper roof. Most evenings, we sit down on the porch for a bit, and she keeps watch, but no wrens at the house yet this year. Last evening, I noticed the reason, when a chipmunk stuck its' head out of the hole. And not just any chipmunk. This was the most disfigured chipmunk that I have seen, its head and neck were not right, its' color was not right, and its' eyes were too large, not to mention that we have dozens of chipmunks around, and I have never seen one nest above ground. But, what else could it be. So, off she goes for her step ladder, to see if there are young in the nest, and if not, would have dislodged it. The big one scampered out quickly, and disappeared up the locust tree as she set the ladder up. I saw it, but only for a moment, and was certain that it was sick, as it looked even worse once it was out of the hole. Just as she opened the side of the house, and peeked inside at was at least one young one, the mom chattered a bit, so we both looked. A flying squirrel! I've seen many of them, but always fairly deep in the woods, and always at night (usually while snipe hunting!). So, that explained why the darn thing looked so odd, and, needless to say, the side was carefully closed on the house, and we will try not to disturb Rocky any more. You never know what you might find lurking around the yard.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-18-2013), r0ckstarr (05-17-2013), Startingover (05-18-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #2

Yep, so very true. I have a pack of 6 squirrels that visit my yard throughout the day to bury acorns and eat the sprouts that come from burying them. I set the GoPro up in the yard in an attempt to get video of them in action. The entire time I had it out there, only one squirrel would come around. Took the camera back out of the yard, and they all came back.

Last week, I had a baby Blue Jay learning how to find and eat insects with the mother bird close by at all times. For those 3 days that I did see it here, I stayed out of the back yard and let them carry on. On the 3rd day, while watching out of the window, I also saw a baby Cardinal and a yellow bird (unsure of what it was. Canary?) all in the yard at the same time.

Late at night, I get a visit from a possum and a rabbit. Both never go more than 10 feet from the back fence, so I don't see them as a problem.

r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-18-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Cool! I see all sorts of hoofprints etc around here, but I don't see stuff too often. Chipmunks, hedgehogs, lots of bunnies, and I occasionally see the deer that leave all of the tracks.

We heard a lot of coyotes last year, but we never saw one. They are sneaky!
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

Found this caterpillar a month or so ago:

These are my favorite. They're everywhere here. If I come across one, I step out of its way because it likes to eat insects. That makes them my friends.

The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
Amateuralex (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Yes its nice to stop and smell the roses now and then.

We have a daily squirrel NASCAR race along the top of our fence. We have 2 of them and one will start on one corner and the other starts on the other corner and then they chase each other along the fence. Every now and then one of the cheats and cuts through pit lane across the yard to catch up. Hilarious watching them. The dogs get a kick out of it too.

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

We love the wrens as well...they rent out our numerous bird houses
every spring. First the sparrows come and build the nests in the houses,
then along come the wrens, kick out the sparrows and take over the houses,
after the sparrows do all the work. Their song is magical...

We love all the birds and feed them all year long. We feed black oiled
sunflower seeds and thistle for the American Goldfinch. We have milkweed
to attract Monarch Butterflies.

It's so fun to turn your backyard into a backyard retreat. Nature is wonderful.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two Knots For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstarr View Post
Yep, so very true. I have a pack of 6 squirrels that visit my yard throughout the day to bury acorns and eat the sprouts that come from burying them. I set the GoPro up in the yard in an attempt to get video of them in action. The entire time I had it out there, only one squirrel would come around. Took the camera back out of the yard, and they all came back.

Last week, I had a baby Blue Jay learning how to find and eat insects with the mother bird close by at all times. For those 3 days that I did see it here, I stayed out of the back yard and let them carry on. On the 3rd day, while watching out of the window, I also saw a baby Cardinal and a yellow bird (unsure of what it was. Canary?) all in the yard at the same time.

Late at night, I get a visit from a possum and a rabbit. Both never go more than 10 feet from the back fence, so I don't see them as a problem.

probably a goldfinch
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
My wife in particular loves wrens, so we have a house for them in the front yard, and a few years ago, with some material left over from a flashing project, I even outfitted it with a copper roof. Most evenings, we sit down on the porch for a bit, and she keeps watch, but no wrens at the house yet this year. Last evening, I noticed the reason, when a chipmunk stuck its' head out of the hole. And not just any chipmunk. This was the most disfigured chipmunk that I have seen, its head and neck were not right, its' color was not right, and its' eyes were too large, not to mention that we have dozens of chipmunks around, and I have never seen one nest above ground. But, what else could it be. So, off she goes for her step ladder, to see if there are young in the nest, and if not, would have dislodged it. The big one scampered out quickly, and disappeared up the locust tree as she set the ladder up. I saw it, but only for a moment, and was certain that it was sick, as it looked even worse once it was out of the hole. Just as she opened the side of the house, and peeked inside at was at least one young one, the mom chattered a bit, so we both looked. A flying squirrel! I've seen many of them, but always fairly deep in the woods, and always at night (usually while snipe hunting!). So, that explained why the darn thing looked so odd, and, needless to say, the side was carefully closed on the house, and we will try not to disturb Rocky any more. You never know what you might find lurking around the yard.

I have not been on a good snipe hunt for probably 50 years
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #9

Rockstarr, Those are great shots...
Yes, It mostly was American Goldfinchs that you spotted. If you get an
upside down thistle feeder they will stay in your yard all year. The bright yellow color is their breeding plummage...In the winter they turn brown.

Here's our finch feeder

This is our squirrell proof feeder, We feed black oiled sunflower seeds
that attract year round a variety of birds, such as cardinals and a variety of woodpeckers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Two Knots For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (05-17-2013), r0ckstarr (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Rockstarr, Those are great shots...
You've got some great ones as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #11

This is in my back yard. I made this back in December with the squirrel(s) I mentioned above. The video does have sound. That is how quiet it is here.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

That is so cute rockstarr, why does he keep running away after he snatches a
nut? We put up a DIY bird feeder just outside our kitchen window this past winter, however, the squirrel took it over. He comes up everyday to chow
down on bread, biscuits, old cookies, crackers or whatever we put out there.

If I have nothing in the feeder he sits there and looks in the window. I'll
try and get a video of him tomorrow.

We also have possums as one was an outdoor pets a couple of years ago we named
him Pogo...what happened is -- we have a trap set to trap raccoons for relocation to keep them away from our pond...Many times we catch possums, but release them in our yard as they are no threat to the pond....one little guy decided he liked the food and came every nite to get fed and then slept in a bucket in our storage cabinet. He was adorable...

Last edited by Two Knots; 05-17-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #13

I don't know why he runs away. I set the camera up and then went somewhere else while the camera was running each time that I did it.

Just curious, what threat is a racoon to a pond?

Also, I used to have a racoon as a pet that we raised from a bottle-fed baby with its eyes closed. It was even trained to use a litter box like a cat. After about 5 or 6 years, it's wild nature came to it, and all it wanted to do was be aggressive towards everyone. It started sleeping on the porch at night instead of inside, due to its aggressive behavior, and eventually wandered off into the woods without coming back.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #14

A raccoon will go fishing in a pond and eat all the fish.

We've been real lucky that we never had an attack, but many
pond keepers do... We catch about one or two a month and take
them for a ride to a lake near our house.

We keep fish food outside in mayo jars, and often go out in
the morning to find the jar opened and the fish food gone...
They're definately little bandits.

My friend is a raccoon and possum
rehabber and said that if we leave dog food out for them, they won't bother
the fish, however our fish are koi, they are big and friendly....they are used to
dogs...so, I'm afraid they would swim directly into a raccoons opened mouth.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #15

I never knew they could catch fish. If you leave dog food out for them, then they will be back with all of their friends every night.