Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Extreme DIYist

Rewards Points: 75

Surfactant making herbicide coagulate?

I mixed triplet SF with some non-ionic surfactant in a ratio of 3:1.

The mixture coagulated and formed what looked like you might see gumming up the outlet of a soap pump dispenser. Is there something I can do to prevent this like maybe dilute with water? It's jamming my sprayer and causing numerous 4 letter words!

Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Well, sorry for your problems!
Instructions for the surfactant give no where close to a 3:1 ratio. Why did you do that?:

Use this material with most herbicides in order to insure more uniform coverage by reducing the surface
tensions of spray droplets. For most herbicides, such as: 2,4-D Amine, TrimecR , Brush Killer, RewardR (DiquatR), AsuloxR, ImageR, and others.

For most Herbicides use: 1 teaspoonful per gallon (1 -2 pints per 100 gallons of spray).

For Round-up, use: 1 Tablespoonful per gallon(2 quarts per 100 gallons of spray).

For MSMA herbicides, use: 1 Tablespoonful per gallon (1-2 quarts per 100 gallons of spray)

Last edited by bob22; 05-28-2013 at 01:31 PM.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I am using a hose-end sprayer ( this guy ) so I had to do several conversions to come up with numbers that matched between the herbicide, surfactant, and sprayer.

I first test-sprayed with just water to see how many oz I spray per 1000sq ft on the 2tbsp/gal setting. Then I determined that I needed to set to 1tbsp/gal for the suggested herbicide coverage, and somewhere in there I figured the surfactant measure based on tbsp/gal setting... I think. It was a very confusing hour of my life.

I'll re-run the numbers but what I'm hearing is that I used way too much surfactant.
crakarjax is offline   Reply With Quote