DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sump pump pit never opened to ground water

5K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 ·
I bought a house 2 years ago. It was built in 2003. The basement has a sump pump pit but the knock outs or area where the tile would come in were never opened, so no sump pump has ever been installed. Last year I never had any issues with water, but this year I have had a few instances where water has came in through the seems. It has been minimal but I would like to finish the basement and stop this issue before it worsens. I have a few questions.

1.) Is there going to be drain tile on the other side of the sump pit?
2.) Will installing a sump pump eliminate this problem?
3.) I'm assuming I need to get a pump installed and plumbed before opening the pit up.

Any advice is appreciated.

#4 ·
That's odd---often there is one sump pit and one sewage pit---I figured that was an unused sewage pit.

If you slice slits into the sides of the pit--it will relieve pressure under the slab--

Odd that you don't have exterior footing drain tiles leading to the pit.

Is your home built into a hill with a walk out basement?(Daylight drainage?)

#6 · (Edited)
The sump pit by itself, with some holes or slits in the sides and also a sump pump, will protect against basement flooding within an approximately four foot radius around it.

To get protection all the way around the basement you would normally need nearly horizontal drain tiles or perforated drain pipes aka a French drain all the way around the foundation under floor level, either just inside or just outside, those pipes emptying into the pit.

If the foundation and basement floor were built atop coarse gravel rather than sand or soil, the drainage into the pit may be fast enough to protect the entire basement without the need for perforated pipes.

#7 ·
The sump pit by itself, with some holes or slits in the sides and also a sump pump, will protect against basement flooding within an approximately four foot radius around it.

To get protection all the way around the basement you would normally need nearly horizontal drain tiles or perforated drain pipes aka a French drain all the way around the foundation under floor level, either just inside or just outside, those pipes emptying into the pit.

If the foundation and basement floor were built atop coarse gravel rather than sand or soil, the drainage into the pit may be fast enough to protect the entire basement without the need for perforated pipes.
I read somewhere that on newer houses they usually put perferated drain tile around the foundation and connect it to the sump pit. In a perfect world, I was hoping to cut into my sump pit and find these tiles on the other side. Is this likely?

#11 ·
A picture of the piping coming out of that pit will be needed---I bet that one contains your perimeter drain pipes----I know that it's sealed up---but opening it would give you the true answer--and not our guesses.

#12 ·
Well, I think your right. I never checked that because when I had the house inspected the inspector said that was for the removal of the waste for the bathroom that is in the basement. I'm assuming he didn't know what he was talking about, or did he? I guess if I have this working and only one point where water is seeping in, then I need to install a french drain or something.

Attachments

#17 ·
White PVC, with 3/8" to 1/2" holes about 6 inches apart the whole length, is perfectly usable for perimeter drains.

A sewage line should never come into and dump into an indoor chamber that is not hermetically sealed (except for inlet and outlet pipes).

#15 ·
There is a vertical crack down my foundation. It is leaking water into the basement. I have read a lot about this but not sure the right path to take. I was assuming that if I opened the sump pit and pumped out ground water than it may stop. Here is a photo of the crack. Should I leave the sump alone, and focus on patching this crack (from outside or inside?) and adding drain tile?

Attachments

#16 ·
Even if you have perimiter drains--that crack will still seep water--it is above the drain.

Most cracks like that can be successfully fixed with epoxy injection---(around $300 for a single crack--less if you have others.

Curing the leak from the outside is the best--but major money and destruction of the landscaping--

Try the epoxy injection---

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.