Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |

Sump pump drains into yard

Our sump pump drains into our home which we recently purchased. The area where it drains stays really wet. Is there any alternative ways to make it drain?

Is it possible to tie my gutter down spouts into the sump drain also?

cincinnati guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You do not want your gutter down spouts going into the sump well. A good heavy rain will flood your basement in no time.

As for the discharge. Run the piping out if able to do so, to the city storm curb. If it discharges in the back yard, run it out as far as you can. Keeping in mind to slope it 1" for every 2', to allow all water to exit after running.

You did not put in where you live, or put up a picture from google maps or your own personal photos. Showing where the line discharges, or what is behind you.

In some areas you have to discharge the sump into a Dry Well. It is basically a chamber filled with rocks, to allow the water to seep back into the ground.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #3

I will get pictures soon of my current setup. We are in Cincinnati, Ohio area.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
DIY staff

If you can dig in an underground 4" drain---the sump discharge must drain into the larger ground pipe as a 'free fall'

Much like a faucet draining into a sink---this way if the underground pipe freezes or becomes clogged the sump pump will over flow harmlessly onto the ground.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #5

Mike makes a good point. If you put in a catch basin like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tuf-Tite-...ct_description

under your sump pump drain, and run a 4" line out to the street or other part of the yard, as long as it's lower than your house, you would be fine.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taylorjm For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-14-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #6

Can I have the sump drain into the catch basin and it stays in it till its overflowing and flow out into whereever I choose for it to drain?

I see I need to add the antifreezing piece to it ive seen online.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
DIY staff

What you are describing sounds like a cistern---a large container to save the water --and a distribution system so the water can be used for watering the garden?

This can be done---a horse trough is a good example---a pump inside the trough could be used to power a sprinkler--or simply add hose connections to the trough and let gravity send the water where you want it.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #8

The only issue is that it wouldn't take long for your sump pump to fill up a small barrel or trough, then it's going to overflow right by your foundation, and go right back into your weeping tile and into the sump pump again, and probably start to leak through your foundation walls. You can't have it overflow right by your foundation like that, you need to get the water away from the house.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

What I am talking about is a drywell that will sit back in the far back yard underground surrounded with gravel. Ill have the PVC run underground to the drywell underground. In hopes that by time it fills up, all the water in it will disperse into the ground soil.
If it were to fill up I think I will have a valve that pops up and lets the water go out.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #10

So would this drywell be a solid holding tank so you could do something with the water at a later date?
Old 04-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
So would this drywell be a solid holding tank so you could do something with the water at a later date?
See my remarks. Basically a covered shallow well with a whole lot of rock in it, to allow for the water to drain into the ground.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #12

I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind digging up a bunch of ground, putting in a tank and gravel, only to let the water drain into the ground. Are you trying to avoid turning the yard into a pool?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind digging up a bunch of ground, putting in a tank and gravel, only to let the water drain into the ground. Are you trying to avoid turning the yard into a pool?
The purpose of a Sump dry well, is to keep from turning the yard into a pool, when the Sump is pumping out a lot of water.