Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

stump removal technique

Has anybody tried this? It seems too easy.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...350083,00.html

I've got a tree with a trunk about 8 inch diameter in the interior corner of a fence (that would make even a stump grinder a pain to use).

bamaranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

stump removal technique

That will work, done it many times.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

stump removal technique

Some reason you cannot just saw it level with the ground and use a chemical stump or brush killer carefully? Is it hurting anything where it is. Why not leave it to nature ortherwise?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #4

stump removal technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranch View Post
Has anybody tried this? It seems too easy.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...350083,00.html

I've got a tree with a trunk about 8 inch diameter in the interior corner of a fence (that would make even a stump grinder a pain to use).
I need to do the same thing. Did you get a chance to try it yet bamaranch?
teeb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

stump removal technique

What do they mean by vertical cuts AROUND THE STUMP, then dig a trench BETWEEN the cuts? I thought we were using a "SawsAll"...I'm having a hard time following that whole part....
mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #6

stump removal technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpaws View Post
What do they mean by vertical cuts AROUND THE STUMP, then dig a trench BETWEEN the cuts? I thought we were using a "SawsAll"...I'm having a hard time following that whole part....

I didn't follow it too well at first either. I'm not sure if I can put a picture in your mind's eye but I THINK they want you to put a reciprocating saw vertically straight down into the ground and saw about 4" out from the tree stump and saw all the way around the tree. This will sever the thickest roots from the tree stump. Then go about another foot out away from the tree and repeat that process. Then dig the dirt between the two cuts you just made. By digging out this drench, you have a means to be able to get under the tree stump and try to pry the stump out of the ground.

I may not have it correct but I think this is what they're talking about.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #7

stump removal technique

Oh, ok. That makes more sense. I can try that with a couple trees here. One Pine, one Oak. Thank you!
mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #8

stump removal technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpaws View Post
Oh, ok. That makes more sense. I can try that with a couple trees here. One Pine, one Oak. Thank you!
You betcha! The pine I would think would be ok with this method. Let me know how it works with your oak, I'll be interested to know.

Steve
Old 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

stump removal technique

ifn one has to, one has to grind/chemicalize/chop a stump out no matter what the cost . I leave mine for nature, as another member suggested. 2 years. Patience.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #10

stump removal technique

I've put chemicals in a stump before. When I moved out 3 years later, the stump was still there. But it could've been the type of tree or wrong chemicals. I've placed chemicals in the stump I'm dealing with now, it's been 6 months with virtually no change. Good luck with yours. While I'm no expert on this subject, I find it difficult to believe I can make a stump go away in two years.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #11

stump removal technique

i have an old stump that i have cut on and hammered on and even burned some... it still remains after about 6 or 7 years. i think i am about to dig under it and cut every root i find.
maybe i'll dig through to china
trawilson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #12

stump removal technique

I had an old Arizona Ash in San Antonio, but off about 3" above ground, maybe 12 diameter. Did all sorts of stuff, including Stump-Out, hacking at it, drilling holes, etc. Finally mounded dirt over the whole thing, popped a larger plastic planter on top (upside down), watered through the drain holes in the planter and kept it soggy for a few months. I had another smaller pot on top with flowers, so from the street it just looked like a stand for my pot.

When I moved the pots and dug out some dirt a few months later, the stump was rotting away. Just covered it up and left it about a year. By that time, the dirt, water, and bugs had rotted the stump to below the ground level, and I was able to just shovel it off. Don't know how well it would work on other tree stumps or other locals, but it was the only thing that worked for me.
Polly003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #13

stump removal technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly003 View Post
I had an old Arizona Ash in San Antonio, but off about 3" above ground, maybe 12 diameter. Did all sorts of stuff, including Stump-Out, hacking at it, drilling holes, etc. Finally mounded dirt over the whole thing, popped a larger plastic planter on top (upside down), watered through the drain holes in the planter and kept it soggy for a few months. I had another smaller pot on top with flowers, so from the street it just looked like a stand for my pot.

When I moved the pots and dug out some dirt a few months later, the stump was rotting away. Just covered it up and left it about a year. By that time, the dirt, water, and bugs had rotted the stump to below the ground level, and I was able to just shovel it off. Don't know how well it would work on other tree stumps or other locals, but it was the only thing that worked for me.
Did you try the suggestion on the 1st post in this thread? I was curious if cutting around the stump with a recip. Saw would really Work
Old 08-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #14

stump removal technique

No, we did not do the trench around the tree, cutting roots, method. This was in oily black, gumbo type dirt, slick/sticky when wet; hard as a rock when dry. Will kill any saw blade in a minute if you could even get it to make the first cut.

Polly003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polly003 For This Useful Post:
teeb57 (08-24-2013)