Stump Gone - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

stump gone

Neighbor had a huge wild cherry taken down today, and the tree folks offered to grind my stumps for $175. I went ahead and had it done, so the area is now dirt mixed with pulverized stump/saw dust....not large wood chips.

What do I need to do to amend that stuff to make it better for planting veggies come spring time. I figure some peat moss and top soil.

Do I need to put down a spray of termite killer? The 3 stumps came from a silver maple, a sugar maple, and a bradford pear.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

stump gone

You seem on the right track mixing the sawdust and shavings into a planting mix. Just remember the wood will decompose and break down. It will draw nitrogen from the soil as it does this so you may need to supplement your regular vege feedings with a little added nitrogen fertilizer---such ammonium sulfate. Ask your local nursery.

You should get a Ph kit so you can watch that and adjust accordingly.

I don't think termites will be an issue but if they are this is one instance where you should let them do their thing. They will not hurt your veges and will speed decomposition of the stump material. Obviously if the stumps are right up near the house you will want to do something.

Do be prepared for some settling.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
handy man88 (01-28-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,236

stump gone

[quote=sdsester;837432]You seem on the right track mixing the sawdust and shavings into a planting mix. Just remember the wood will decompose and break down. It will draw nitrogen from the soil as it does this so you may need to supplement your regular vege feedings with a little added nitrogen fertilizer---such ammonium sulfate. Ask your local nursery.

I don't think termites will be an issue but if they are this is one instance where you should let them do their thing. They will not hurt your veges and will speed decomposition of the stump material. Obviously if the stumps are right up near the house you will want to do something.

Do be prepared for some settling.[/quote]

Yes and it could be a LOT and take YEARS.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

stump gone

Ayuh,... The Best thing to do is get Rid of the grindings,...
Use 'em for mulch or whatever...

Then fill the depressions with top dirt...

Nothin' will grow in the grindings, as stated above, they'll draw Nitrogen outa the soil...
Which of course, is why they make Good mulch...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,018

stump gone

[quote=chrisn;837702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You seem on the right track mixing the sawdust and shavings into a planting mix. Just remember the wood will decompose and break down. It will draw nitrogen from the soil as it does this so you may need to supplement your regular vege feedings with a little added nitrogen fertilizer---such ammonium sulfate. Ask your local nursery.

Do be prepared for some settling.[/quote]

Yes and it could be a LOT and take YEARS.
Thanks, but of the 3 stumps that were ground, the biggest was only about 18 inches in diameter. Went about 12" below grade.

I will be growing veggies in that area, not grass.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote