Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #1

Share |

Stucco wall in yard

I'm landscaping the front yard and I want to build a 3' stucco wall to create a courtyard near the front door.

I'm going to use 4x4 posts, 2x4 framing, and 1/2" or 5/8" (3/4"??) OSB to frame. I'm gonna have someone come out and apply stucco when it's done. The wall's going to be about 40' long with one right angle corner.

Has anyone built one of these before? I'm not sure how to space the 4x4's or what thickness OSB to use. Someone in a nearby neighborhood is having one built and I've taken some long looks as I drive by. The 4x4 posts seem to be spaced at about 8 feet, which seems like an awfully long span to me. I was thinking more like every 3 feet. Opinions?

I was also wondering what folks do to seal up the bottom of this type of wall. I don't want critters and water to get up inside the wall, but haven't figured exactly how I'm going to seal it up.

Thanks for any input.

Steve

Colorado Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #2

Stucco wall in yard

Sounds like your neighbor is building as I would - like a fence. My first thought was 8 feet apart.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #3

Stucco wall in yard

By the way..........it sounds like a great project.

Now I want one.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #4

Stucco wall in yard

Be sure a seal the top very well or your wall won't last very long.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #5

Stucco wall in yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Be sure a seal the top very well or your wall won't last very long.
Not sure what you mean by seal the top. I'm going to place OSB to fit on the top after it's framed, then roofers paper/chicken wire, then stucco the whole deal.

I have been going back and forth, however, on whether to use pressure treated 2x4's or not. As long as they are not coming into contact with the ground or elements, I don't think I need to.
Colorado Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #6

Stucco wall in yard

Any water that gets into a stucco'ed wood wall will destoy it in short order. The top needs some type of cap to ensure this deos not happen. It can be a metal cap, a concrete one, or a flashed segmental one, but you must ensure that no water enters the wall, or it will last a couple of years only.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote