String Trimmers - Gas, Corded Electric, Or Battery Electric - Which One?? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #31
homeowner learning quick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


So I finally mowed my lawn for the first time yesterday and quickly realized why the trimmer is important. I couldn't get to certain parts of the lawn and the edges look like crap. I was basically set on a gas trimmer but I used my electric blower/vac last night to clean up some of the grass clippings -- dragging he cord around definitely made me realize that gas was a definite.

I stopped by the Stihl dealer today after work. I ended up getting the FS56. It was an extra $50 for the 56 Vs the 55
There were a couple advantages-
1. The easy start system - not only is it easier to start the motor but because of that it is supposedly next to impossible to flood the engine. Apparantely that is a major issue that people come back in for. They don't start the motor on the FS45 or 55 correctly and keep pulling the rope which then floods the motor
2. The kill switch on the 56 is a spring back rocker switch - after you press it into off the switch springs back to the run position. On the 45 and 55 it is a manual switch and people seem to forget to put it back to the run position. That causes the engine to not start the next time they want to use it - more pulling the rope - engine floods
3. He told me the motor on the 56 is more efficient and has lower emision. This isn't the main reason I got it but the effecient part I like.

I just got it tonight so I haven't used it but I am definitely looking forward to it. Stihl gives a pair of safety glasses with it which is nice of them

Advertisement

whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
So I finally mowed my lawn for the first time yesterday and quickly realized why the trimmer is important. I couldn't get to certain parts of the lawn and the edges look like crap. I was basically set on a gas trimmer but I used my electric blower/vac last night to clean up some of the grass clippings -- dragging he cord around definitely made me realize that gas was a definite.

I stopped by the Stihl dealer today after work. I ended up getting the FS56. It was an extra $50 for the 56 Vs the 55
There were a couple advantages-
1. The easy start system - not only is it easier to start the motor but because of that it is supposedly next to impossible to flood the engine. Apparantely that is a major issue that people come back in for. They don't start the motor on the FS45 or 55 correctly and keep pulling the rope which then floods the motor
2. The kill switch on the 56 is a spring back rocker switch - after you press it into off the switch springs back to the run position. On the 45 and 55 it is a manual switch and people seem to forget to put it back to the run position. That causes the engine to not start the next time they want to use it - more pulling the rope - engine floods
3. He told me the motor on the 56 is more efficient and has lower emision. This isn't the main reason I got it but the effecient part I like.

I just got it tonight so I haven't used it but I am definitely looking forward to it. Stihl gives a pair of safety glasses with it which is nice of them
I'm glad I recommended that you consider the 56.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 199
Rewards Points: 150
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


just read more of this thread...my prior recommendation of gas and Stihl was for the string trimmer. For hedge trimmer...B&D Hedgehog is what you want.

Back to the string trimmer...I have the Stihl FS45 and have been happy with it....but it's starting process is quirky though consistent ...and also not documnented in the user guide. On third pull or so after priming it starts and stalls...at which time you open the choke and another pull or two starts it up. I find the whole Easy 2 Start feature kind of amusing...I mean...it implies that versions without it are "Hard 2 Start". Shouldn't any well designed product be easy to start without having an extra feature to do so?

Separate subject...."trying to edge with a bent shaft trimmer is next to impossible"....that sounds a bit dramatic. I have the FS45 that has bent shaft and it edges quite easily...for me. I'm not sure what it is about a bent shaft that would make it any harder at all vs. straight shaft.

Lastly...shinguards? I guess it depends on how much trimmming you are doing and conditions on your lot....I'm all for safety but shinguards seems kinda silly to me. I'd say just wear long pants if you are worried about it...but I regularly trim in shorts and have never had a problem
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
just read more of this thread...my prior recommendation of gas and Stihl was for the string trimmer. For hedge trimmer...B&D Hedgehog is what you want.

Back to the string trimmer...I have the Stihl FS45 and have been happy with it....but it's starting process is quirky though consistent ...and also not documnented in the user guide. On third pull or so after priming it starts and stalls...at which time you open the choke and another pull or two starts it up. I find the whole Easy 2 Start feature kind of amusing...I mean...it implies that versions without it are "Hard 2 Start". Shouldn't any well designed product be easy to start without having an extra feature to do so?

Separate subject...."trying to edge with a bent shaft trimmer is next to impossible"....that sounds a bit dramatic. I have the FS45 that has bent shaft and it edges quite easily...for me. I'm not sure what it is about a bent shaft that would make it any harder at all vs. straight shaft.

Lastly...shinguards? I guess it depends on how much trimmming you are doing and conditions on your lot....I'm all for safety but shinguards seems kinda silly to me. I'd say just wear long pants if you are worried about it...but I regularly trim in shorts and have never had a problem
You never know what you're going to hit when you run that trimmer, and that includes rocks, stones, gravel, wood, etc.

Also, why would anyone want to wear long pants on a hot day when doing yard work?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 199
Rewards Points: 150
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
You never know what you're going to hit when you run that trimmer, and that includes rocks, stones, gravel, wood, etc.

Also, why would anyone want to wear long pants on a hot day when doing yard work?
Hey..that's cool....it's all personal preference and such. Just saying my choice is to wear shorts and I've never had a problem...anything that has hit my legs didn't draw blood...a very slight brief sting at worst....not worth anything preventative...but if I did want something preventative...my choice would be just throw on some long pants for the 15 miinutes of trimming I need to do...rather than go through the hassle of having to acquire shinguards and strap them on.....ANYTHING on your legs should offer plenty of protection and shinguards are overkill....IMO...for me.....why not try some leggings from the missus? just kidding of course...

ETA: I'd also say that of course accidents can always happen...but I'm pretty careful to keep a good eye on where I'm trimming...so as to minimize possibility of whacking something I shouldn't.

Last edited by piste; 04-29-2010 at 10:52 PM.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #36
homeowner learning quick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
I'm glad I recommended that you consider the 56.
Yes sir - good recco, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
Back to the string trimmer...I have the Stihl FS45 and have been happy with it....but it's starting process is quirky though consistent ...and also not documnented in the user guide. On third pull or so after priming it starts and stalls...at which time you open the choke and another pull or two starts it up. I find the whole Easy 2 Start feature kind of amusing...I mean...it implies that versions without it are "Hard 2 Start". Shouldn't any well designed product be easy to start without having an extra feature to do so?
The starting process is the main reason I went with the 56. I had already decided on the straight shaft.

As far as the name of the starting system -- that's marketing, but the process is definitely easier. We cold started it at the dealer and it fired up on the first pull. To me that is worth the $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
Separate subject...."trying to edge with a bent shaft trimmer is next to impossible"....that sounds a bit dramatic. I have the FS45 that has bent shaft and it edges quite easily...for me. I'm not sure what it is about a bent shaft that would make it any harder at all vs. straight shaft.
That is what the dealer told me -- could have been part of the sales pitch for sure but I did hold the FS45 and went through the motions of trimming and edging and for me the edging motion did not feel as comfortable as the 55 or 56 did. It may be just as easy to edge with the bent shaft - I have no idea.

Thanks again to everyone for all the info. I'll report back after I use it for the first time
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
That is what the dealer told me -- could have been part of the sales pitch for sure but I did hold the FS45 and went through the motions of trimming and edging and for me the edging motion did not feel as comfortable as the 55 or 56 did. It may be just as easy to edge with the bent shaft - I have no idea.

Thanks again to everyone for all the info. I'll report back after I use it for the first time
For what it's worth, I've never seen a landscape contractor use bent shaft trimmers.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 25
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


I vote straight shaft, easier to work with imo.
chenzarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 199
Rewards Points: 150
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
Yes sir - good recco, thank you



The starting process is the main reason I went with the 56. I had already decided on the straight shaft.

As far as the name of the starting system -- that's marketing, but the process is definitely easier. We cold started it at the dealer and it fired up on the first pull. To me that is worth the $50.



That is what the dealer told me -- could have been part of the sales pitch for sure but I did hold the FS45 and went through the motions of trimming and edging and for me the edging motion did not feel as comfortable as the 55 or 56 did. It may be just as easy to edge with the bent shaft - I have no idea.

Thanks again to everyone for all the info. I'll report back after I use it for the first time
First off...I forgot...Congrats on choosing a Stihl...I don't think you'll regret it for one second. Good products.

On the starting process...the particular name they choose for the feature is indeed marketing...but I guess what I was trying to say was....I think that if Stihl realizes that their products are not easy to start...and they design a way to address that...they should include it in all their products. When I purchase a product I assume it is not unusually challenging or quirky to start. That's all.

And on the bent vs. straight shaft...seems many more are indeed sold with straight vs. bent...and despite that every pro uses straight...and straight may indeed be "better" ...honestly never used one....For someone to say it's "nearly impossible" to edge with a bent shaft...well....I respectfully disagree with that....at least for homeowner use. That's all. I'd be curious for my own educational purposes as to why exactly someone might think that to be the case. I would certainly consider the straight/bent issue if I were ever to buy another...but being as I got a Stihl...it'll probably last for life!
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
First off...I forgot...Congrats on choosing a Stihl...I don't think you'll regret it for one second. Good products.

On the starting process...the particular name they choose for the feature is indeed marketing...but I guess what I was trying to say was....I think that if Stihl realizes that their products are not easy to start...and they design a way to address that...they should include it in all their products. When I purchase a product I assume it is not unusually challenging or quirky to start. That's all.

And on the bent vs. straight shaft...seems many more are indeed sold with straight vs. bent...and despite that every pro uses straight...and straight may indeed be "better" ...honestly never used one....For someone to say it's "nearly impossible" to edge with a bent shaft...well....I respectfully disagree with that....at least for homeowner use. That's all. I'd be curious for my own educational purposes as to why exactly someone might think that to be the case. I would certainly consider the straight/bent issue if I were ever to buy another...but being as I got a Stihl...it'll probably last for life!
My guess is that with bent shafts being designed for ergonomics when trimming, you kind of throw that out the window when you use it to edge. A trimmer can edge, but that's not its real design purpose.

Thus, when you turn it to the side, it's a bit more awkward to use compared to a straight shaft. Also, bent shaft trimmers don't allow a great a reach as straight shaft.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 199
Rewards Points: 150
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
My guess is that with bent shafts being designed for ergonomics when trimming, you kind of throw that out the window when you use it to edge. A trimmer can edge, but that's not its real design purpose.

Thus, when you turn it to the side, it's a bit more awkward to use compared to a straight shaft. Also, bent shaft trimmers don't allow a great a reach as straight shaft.
Yeah..I see what you are saying. When turned on its side to edge... a straight shaft has one less angle to worry about vs a bent shaft. Guess I've just gotten used to it.

As for how a trimmer is used....when I think of the linear feet of usage on my property...most of my trimmer use is where the grass meets concrete..sidewalk, driveway, walkways, patio...or around garden beds and tree rings..all of that is what I would consider edging....Point being most of the use of my string trimmer is what I would call edgework...not cutting an edge per se but usage where the trimmer is on its side.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
Yeah..I see what you are saying. When turned on its side to edge... a straight shaft has one less angle to worry about vs a bent shaft. Guess I've just gotten used to it.

As for how a trimmer is used....when I think of the linear feet of usage on my property...most of my trimmer use is where the grass meets concrete..sidewalk, driveway, walkways, patio...or around garden beds and tree rings..all of that is what I would consider edging....Point being most of the use of my string trimmer is what I would call edgework...not cutting an edge per se but usage where the trimmer is on its side.
Sounds to me that you might want to invest in an edger.

Or, better yet, now you have a good reason to "upgrade" your trimmer to a straight shaft and get the edger attachment with it.

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/kombi.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/ac...tml#cultivator

You even have a choice of a bent shaft edger or straight shaft edger!
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #43
homeowner learning quick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Sounds to me that you might want to invest in an edger.

Or, better yet, now you have a good reason to "upgrade" your trimmer to a straight shaft and get the edger attachment with it.

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/kombi.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/ac...tml#cultivator

You even have a choice of a bent shaft edger or straight shaft edger!
The Kombi is a very cool device with all the attachments but the price is too high IMO. It was almost $300 for the power head and at least $100-$150 per attachment. You don't start saving money until you have at least 3 attachments. Really the savings hits with attachment 4 and up. That's assuming you were planning on buying all Stihl equipment.
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #44
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
The Kombi is a very cool device with all the attachments but the price is too high IMO. It was almost $300 for the power head and at least $100-$150 per attachment. You don't start saving money until you have at least 3 attachments. Really the savings hits with attachment 4 and up. That's assuming you were planning on buying all Stihl equipment.
It may be worth it for someone who lives in a climate that requires year round lawn maintenance.

Not so much for those living in the north.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old UPS to car battery? pcampbell Electrical 8 01-20-2009 06:34 PM
Connecting electric motor to swtich and marine battery Lawnplugger Electrical 5 09-13-2008 02:11 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts