String Trimmers - Gas, Corded Electric, Or Battery Electric - Which One?? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


I bought my Stihl blower vac after my Craftsman blower vac quit on me while I was doing yardwork.

I was actually looking for a Husqvarna blower vac, but they only make blowers.

Went with Stihl vice Echo since Echo had some big recalls not long ago.

Check out what the landscape pros are using a majority use Stihl.

In fact, I've never seen any pros use Craftsman.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
In fact, I've never seen any pros use Craftsman.
There's consumer specs, commercial specs and military specs, in order of increasing cost to reflect increasing reliability.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
There's consumer specs, commercial specs and military specs, in order of increasing cost to reflect increasing reliability.
I agree, and you get what you pay for, and sometimes you don't (e.g. Craftsman lawn tools).
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #19
homeowner learning quick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


I think I am going to get the Stihl FS55 straight shaft trimmer. I stopped by the dealer I got my mower at since they are a Stihl and Echo dealer too. I looked at the Echo trimmers and while I am sure they are great they were about $100 more than the Stihl of comperable specs. The Stihl FS45 is a bent shaft trimmer and according to the owner (three brothers run the biz and took it over from their father - been around 50+ years) trying to edge with a bent shaft trimmer is next to impossible. Is that true? It is $50 more for the FS55. I guess if I plan to use it for edging it is worth the $50. As a small added bonus the FS55 comes with the shoulder strap. I didn't have room in my car so I will get whichever one I decide on tomorrow after work so I can comense lawn care this weekend (as long as it doesn't rain). My lawn is really long and we are the only house in our area that hasn't cut it (most have landscapers)

I decided on gas after really looking at how far from an electric socket I would need to go with the trimmer - no way I want to pull a cord that far to trim.

Last edited by whataboutj; 04-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
I think I am going to get the Stihl FS55 straight shaft trimmer. I stopped by the dealer I got my mower at since they are a Stihl and Echo dealer too. I looked at the Echo trimmers and while I am sure they are great they were about $100 more than the Stihl of comperable specs. The Stihl FS45 is a bent shaft trimmer and according to the owner (three brothers run the biz and took it over from their father - been around 50+ years) trying to edge with a bent shaft trimmer is next to impossible. Is that true? It is $50 more for the FS55. I guess if I plan to use it for edging it is worth the $50. As a small added bonus the FS55 comes with the shoulder strap. I didn't have room in my car so I will get whichever one I decide on tomorrow after work so I can comense lawn care this weekend (as long as it doesn't rain). My lawn is really long and we are the only house in our area that hasn't cut it (most have landscapers)

I decided on gas after really looking at how far from an electric socket I would need to go with the trimmer - no way I want to pull a cord that far to trim.
What's the price difference between the 55 and the 56?

Based on your concerns about starting the machine, the website indicates that the 56 has an easy start feature, a semi auto choke, and lower emissions.

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS56RCE.html

Also, make sure you run out and buy two gas cans.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,763
Rewards Points: 40
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


To protect my legs, I picked up some shin/lower leg guards at Harbor Freight a long time ago. They look like soccer shin guards, but are made with fabric. I don't think they carry these anymore though.[/quote]I agree, much too hot for pants in the summer. I've always just taken my licks with the string trimmer like a man. Leg wounds heal. But shin guards are definately a good idea.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I agree, much too hot for pants in the summer. I've always just taken my licks with the string trimmer like a man. Leg wounds heal. But shin guards are definately a good idea.
Looks something like this, although I think I paid less than $10 @ harbor freight.

http://shin-guard.com/
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
homeowner learning quick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
What's the price difference between the 55 and the 56?

Based on your concerns about starting the machine, the website indicates that the 56 has an easy start feature, a semi auto choke, and lower emissions.

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS56RCE.html

Also, make sure you run out and buy two gas cans.
I am not sure about the 56. I talked to the dealer about the starting issues I read about. He said the start process on the 55 is three pulls - two with the choke wide open and the third with it off - the third time starts it. There will be lessons before I leave the dealer I will find out about the cost of the 56 though. The 55 is $199 which is at the top of the range I wanted to go to for the trimmer so I am not sure if the easy start will be worth the money.

I did ask about the break in period throttle topic - he told me you just run it a touch under full throttle for the first 10 hours and the rings cede correctly and then your good to go.

Why two gas cans? I know I need a 1 gallon can but why a second? in case I run out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Looks something like this, although I think I paid less than $10 @ harbor freight.

http://shin-guard.com/
I looked at HF online and didn't see them I did look at Dicks sporting goods and found a pair of soccer shin guards by under armour for $20 that looked like they would work. I have coupons for DSG so they would be a bit less than $20. About Double the price you paid but if I can't find anything else I think these will work (and I am ready for a pick up game of soccer )

Under armour shin gaurds

Taking the abuse to my legs is feasible but I think the $20 is worth not dealing with it

Last edited by whataboutj; 04-23-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: can't type correctly
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
I am not sure about the 56. I talked to the dealer about the starting issues I read about. He said the start process on the 55 is three pulls - two with the choke wide open and the third with it off - the third time starts it. There will be lessons before I leave the dealer I will find out about the cost of the 56 though. The 55 is $199 which is at the top of the range I wanted to go to for the trimmer so I am not sure if the easy start will be worth the money.

I did ask about the break in period throttle topic - he told me you just run it a touch under full throttle for the first 10 hours and the rings cede correctly and then your good to go.

Why two gas cans? I know I need a 1 gallon can but why a second? in case I run out?



I looked at HF online and didn't see them I did look at Dicks sporting goods and found a pair of soccer shin guards by under armour for $20 that looked like they would work. I have coupons for DSG so they would be a bit less than $20. About Double the price you paid but if I can't find anything else I think these will work (and I am ready for a pick up game of soccer )

Under armour shin gaurds

Taking the abuse to my legs is feasible but I think the $20 is worth not dealing with it
You'll need two gas cans.

One for straight gas for your 4 cycle mower (and down the road if you buy a gas power washer, snow thrower, generator, etc.).

One for the gas-oil mix for your 2 cycle tools (typically trimmer, blower, chain saw, etc.).

I actually have one 2 gal for the straight gas, one 1 gal for the gas-oil mix, and one 5 gal for my generator.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #25
homeowner learning quick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
You'll need two gas cans.

One for straight gas for your 4 cycle mower (and down the road if you buy a gas power washer, snow thrower, generator, etc.).

One for the gas-oil mix for your 2 cycle tools (typically trimmer, blower, chain saw, etc.).

I actually have one 2 gal for the straight gas, one 1 gal for the gas-oil mix, and one 5 gal for my generator.
AHHH I thought you meant two cans for the trimmer. I already have a 2.5 gallon Briggs & Stratton can with an auto stop for straight gas. I bought it when I bought my Airens 24" compact two stage snow thrower before last winter. I got the snow thrower from the same dealer I got the mower at and am going to for the trimmer. I will definitely be getting a 1 gallon gas can for the gas/oil mix.

The other thing I forgot about is I am going to need a hedge trimmer. The Stihl HS45 is $290 which is a lot more than I want to spend and probably need since I will be using it three times a season. We'll see.....
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
AHHH I thought you meant two cans for the trimmer. I already have a 2.5 gallon Briggs & Stratton can with an auto stop for straight gas. I bought it when I bought my Airens 24" compact two stage snow thrower before last winter. I got the snow thrower from the same dealer I got the mower at and am going to for the trimmer. I will definitely be getting a 1 gallon gas can for the gas/oil mix.

The other thing I forgot about is I am going to need a hedge trimmer. The Stihl HS45 is $290 which is a lot more than I want to spend and probably need since I will be using it three times a season. We'll see.....
I don't have a hedge trimmer and don't need one, but that's one thing that I would consider buying electric for....unless you have a long hedge that you use as a fence.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #27
homeowner learning quick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 70
Rewards Points: 75
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
I don't have a hedge trimmer and don't need one, but that's one thing that I would consider buying electric for....unless you have a long hedge that you use as a fence.
I agree completely about going electric. The question is which brand. The Craftsman electric hedge trimmer is rated the best and has got a lot of great reviews. It is $60 so it may be worth a try.

I do have a row of hedges that are used as a separator/fence between us and our neighbors. The farthest hedge in the row is about 75-80 feet away from the house so not a big issue with my 100ft cord. As a point of reference the Stihl electric with an 18" blade is $160 - not sure the extra $100 is worth it
whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
I agree completely about going electric. The question is which brand. The Craftsman electric hedge trimmer is rated the best and has got a lot of great reviews. It is $60 so it may be worth a try.

I do have a row of hedges that are used as a separator/fence between us and our neighbors. The farthest hedge in the row is about 75-80 feet away from the house so not a big issue with my 100ft cord. As a point of reference the Stihl electric with an 18" blade is $160 - not sure the extra $100 is worth it
I preface this statement by saying I don't know much about hedge trimmers, but I would keep it simple and just get a black and decker.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-H...2135016&sr=8-1
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
I preface this statement by saying I don't know much about hedge trimmers, but I would keep it simple and just get a black and decker.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-H...2135016&sr=8-1
And you can sharpen its blades with a small, flat file. Ours has run 'forever'.

I'd think two or three $60 units will last at least as long as one $160 unit. And parts for the second unit come 'free' from the first unless a design defect causes the same part to fail on all of them.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-24-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 199
Rewards Points: 150
Default

String trimmers - gas, corded electric, or battery electric - which one??


Gas. Stihl. Done!

Advertisement

piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old UPS to car battery? pcampbell Electrical 8 01-20-2009 06:34 PM
Connecting electric motor to swtich and marine battery Lawnplugger Electrical 5 09-13-2008 02:11 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts