Straw Soil Erosion Mats - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,166

straw soil erosion mats

We need to seed an area that I created, about 8' wide by 120' long or so, with a very gentle slope, where rain water and snow melt will not necessarily run, but will be able to travel from a natural low area behind our house to a yet lower area, where it can then find its' way to the marsh. Our property is naturally rolling, and, so far anyway, although this area is bare dirt right now, it looks like we have been able to create what we set out to do, which is, for all intent and purpose, a shallow ditch, which will blend into the natural terrain.

So, knowing that rain water will be diverted to this area, but mindful that, again, the slope is minimal, so it it should not create any major washouts, my plan is to do the final grading, seeding, and fertilixing, then cover it with straw soil erosion mats, to help hold everything in place.

Does this make sense? Any tricks to placing these mats? Just roll them out and let them do their job? We've done a lot of yard and garden work over the years, but I have never dealt with these before.

Advertisement

Last edited by DexterII; 05-11-2011 at 10:23 AM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

straw soil erosion mats

use sod staples to secure the erosion fabric. There are also plastic pins made that will work.

Advertisement

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #3

straw soil erosion mats

Thank you, GC; I appreciate the advice.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

straw soil erosion mats

Might look into hydroseeding it. It may be cheaper by the time you buy all the stuff. The hydroseeder will come out and spray a slurry of seed, fertilizers and a mulch crust that will hold to your slope. Much, much cheaper than sod and will establish faster than seeding it yourself.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #5

straw soil erosion mats

Thank you, sdsester. Now that you mention that, I had thought about it while thinking about this over the winter, but it had slipped my mind completely this spring. (One of the problems of getting old!) I will give my local guy a call, and see what they have to say.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 320

straw soil erosion mats

I've used several of these mats on my property. ( with the wood fibers ).

I bought them at a farm supply store along with the steel staples which are 4" or 6" with the later for steeper slopes.

Make sure you stretch these out well and staple often so your mower wont catch it.

Your slope sounds so slight you may not need these .

I've successfully held a 45 slope with these blankets and they work very

well.

http://www.americanexcelsior.com/ero...clblankets.php
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

straw soil erosion mats

I would go with the hydroseed.

Advertisement