DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Stone wall and grading lawn

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JuliaAnna 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All, I'm new to this site, so bear with me while I try to explain my dilemma. I bought a home 2 years ago. I've never been a homeowner before, so I'm making a lot of improvements, but feel like I'm blindly feeling my way through. I just had a stone wall put up yesterday. I came out beautifully; but here's the problem. Facing the house, the left side of the lawn gradually goes uphill. So that area had to be dug deeper in order to keep the wall level. Now I have a beautiful wall, but my lawn is too high on the left side and will cover about 1/3-1/2 of my wall at the farthest point if we fill in the space that was dug out with loam. My husband says we don't have a choice. I say, "why can't we just use an mini excavator or even do it by hand and take down or grade the high area so it's level with the wall and gradually ease it back to the level of the lawn as it moves further away from the house and toward the road". I don't want to cover up half of my new wall by filling in the trench with loam. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Also, the fill behind my wall will come up almost to the bottom of my siding. From what I'm reading on this site, it sounds like that's not a good idea. Why? Shouldn't my contractor have mentioned that to me before putting up the wall?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.