Stone Wall And Grading Lawn - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Stone wall and grading lawn

Hello All, I'm new to this site, so bear with me while I try to explain my dilemma. I bought a home 2 years ago. I've never been a homeowner before, so I'm making a lot of improvements, but feel like I'm blindly feeling my way through. I just had a stone wall put up yesterday. I came out beautifully; but here's the problem. Facing the house, the left side of the lawn gradually goes uphill. So that area had to be dug deeper in order to keep the wall level. Now I have a beautiful wall, but my lawn is too high on the left side and will cover about 1/3-1/2 of my wall at the farthest point if we fill in the space that was dug out with loam. My husband says we don't have a choice. I say, "why can't we just use an mini excavator or even do it by hand and take down or grade the high area so it's level with the wall and gradually ease it back to the level of the lawn as it moves further away from the house and toward the road". I don't want to cover up half of my new wall by filling in the trench with loam. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Also, the fill behind my wall will come up almost to the bottom of my siding. From what I'm reading on this site, it sounds like that's not a good idea. Why? Shouldn't my contractor have mentioned that to me before putting up the wall?

Advertisement

Last edited by JuliaAnna; 08-25-2011 at 11:13 AM.
JuliaAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Very hard to say exactly what would work and wouldn't work without a picture or diagram.

You certainly do not want soil resting against the house's siding.

Advertisement

Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The dirt will be a few inches below the siding. The siding is vinyl. I hope to post a picture once my home PC is back up and running.
JuliaAnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excavation , grading , lawn , retaining wall