Steps Up From Concrete Patio - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

steps up from concrete patio

We just had a contractor pour us a stamped flagstone concrete patio. Looks great, but now we need to figure out what kind of steps to put in to get up to our house door. My DH is thinking of building wood steps. I think that would look bad with the new patio. But I'm sure poured steps to match the patio would be expensive and/or beyond our DIY abilities. Pre-cast steps I've seen are UGLY! Any ideas? Could we make the wood steps look good somehow? Help!

Advertisement

annrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I think you should go with the same material or it will look disjointed.

Advertisement

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

It all depends on the style of your house... take a drive around the neighborhood and check out what they've done. A "period" or traditional home can look great with wood steps that are painted with a nice matching hand rail. If your home is more contemporary, not so much. See what looks good on comparable homes and make your decision based on that.

Pre-fab steps are definitely ugly! However, you can inexpensively and DIY adhere stone or brick facing or tile. If you end up with pre-fab, ask for the options of adding facing dimension-wise. Flagstone slabs on a pre-fab would look custom with a stone (or appropriate) facing.
missfixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior steps , patio steps