Stepped Retaining Wall Need Advice On What To Plant Now. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stepped retaining wall need advice on what to plant now.

I just put this simple stepped retaining wall in my back yard, I need landscaping ideas for it now for what to plant in there. I want something fairly maintenance free and do not want to put vegetables in there. The bottom layer is 19.5 feet long x 5 feet deep and the top of the second wall is about 3 feet of flat then slopes up to the big stones and also 19.5 feet long.

From the shed back (about 75 feet) is a parking area and grass (the grass that I planted just started coming in) and the giant pile of gravel to the right of the shed will be spread out to park on.

I am in the north east Zone 6 but not far from zone 7 going off of the map.

I am not opposed to having some large stones in the area mixed with plants/shrubs or whatever (I have access to some decent size rocks/boulders), something that would stay green year round would be nice but having a mix of stuff that pops up in the spring/summer with the evergreen stuff would be cool too. Having the top section be filled with some kind of crawling evergreen ground cover could be nice but what?

The area gets a fair amount of sun and the hill behind the shed drains through where the walls are so it stays fairly moist there.

Ideas?

*Edited to add that the green around the shed is daylilies*

Advertisement

Last edited by Staticman2; 04-25-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Staticman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,246

edibles and perennials
ideally perennial edibles

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
Staticman2 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 586

key thing to remember is that soil will settle 20% over a year. So, in other words. make sure you lightly (by hand) compact the soil as you fill it in and add an inch or two more than what you think looks perfect.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cibula11 For This Useful Post:
Staticman2 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
edibles and perennials
ideally perennial edibles
suggestions?

When the area was just a hill/slope it was covered with blueberry bushes but I moved those to an easier spot to protect from birds. I wouldn't mind having something usable there but I do want something that will look ok all year round as this is the view out my back door off of my back porch.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
key thing to remember is that soil will settle 20% over a year. So, in other words. make sure you lightly (by hand) compact the soil as you fill it in and add an inch or two more than what you think looks perfect.
The area was a hill so I literally cut into it to make the steps, first wall (closest to camera) was put in after cutting the hill back about 2 feet to make the yard slightly larger, then I back filled into the space between the hill face and the back of the wall tamping it down behind the wall. Then collapsed the hill making the lower level using most of what collapsed down to back fill against the wall so I would say more than 4.5 feet of the depth is pretty solidly packed down as it stands but I do plan on putting a layer of clean top soil down before I plant anything, rinse repeat for the upper wall.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!