Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Share |

Startin a low Deck

Hi,
Im a total newbie and trying to start a deck attatched to my house basically 22x16 with the far ends away from the house at 4' 45's.
I only have 8" clearance at the house and basiclly throughout the whole run and wondering what the best route to go about placing my posts and beam set up, and basically if its ok to set the joists against the beams with the brackets since i dont have the clearance to set on top, and if 2x6's at 12 oc would work and double 2x6 set right on top of concrete piers would work?

eric31479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Startin a low Deck

You need to start by talking to your local building inspector. If they are like mine, they will give you a copy of the "Prescriptive Residential wood Deck Construction Guide", which will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about construction requirements. You need to draw up a plan for approval by the building inspector, and once approved you can get going.

You may want to purchase a book on deck construction, there are lots of them, which will help you understand how to install footers, posts, joists, main beams, decking material, rails, and steps. Given that you have such a low deck, there are likely to be some unusual issues such as termite damage, clearance, and connections, and you may want to consider raising the deck if possible.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Startin a low Deck

Or build a landing leading down to a patio
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote