Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Share |

standing water in garden

I was wondering how to remove standing water from my garden area. everytime it rains it fills up with water.

tammysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #2

standing water in garden

In most cases it's best to just raise the grade by adding some fill, instead of trying to figure out how to add drainage.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

standing water in garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
In most cases it's best to just raise the grade by adding some fill, instead of trying to figure out how to add drainage.
Jeeze Louise Joe. This has to be your worst comment yet!

The last thing you want to do is start shoveling dirt or other fill at a grading or drainage problem you have not figured out or resolved. You will most likely not resolve the issue and more than likely you will, even if slightly successful, move the water somewhere else where you are even more unlikely to be able to deal with. And you will have a giant mountain or hill where water used to pool.

The op should get a landscape contractor, grading contractor, or even a civil engineer out to figure out what is going on with the lay of the land and why water is pooling. Especially so if this is a problem not unique to his property.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

standing water in garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammysullivan View Post
I was wondering how to remove standing water from my garden area. everytime it rains it fills up with water.
Ayuh,.... Water flows Downhill....

Lower the grade in the direction you want the water to flow,...
You have a dam somewhere now, that's why ya get the lake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Jeeze Louise Joe. This has to be your worst comment yet!

The last thing you want to do is start shoveling dirt or other fill at a grading or drainage problem you have not figured out or resolved. You will most likely not resolve the issue and more than likely you will, even if slightly successful, move the water somewhere else where you are even more unlikely to be able to deal with. And you will have a giant mountain or hill where water used to pool.

The op should get a landscape contractor, grading contractor, or even a civil engineer out to figure out what is going on with the lay of the land and why water is pooling. Especially so if this is a problem not unique to his property.
Ayuh,.... Donno what yer Smokin', but I want some....

A Contractor,..?? An Engineer,..??

It's a Garden for christ's sake......

Last edited by Bondo; 03-31-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote