Standing Water In Backyard + Slow Leak In Basement - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 69

Standing Water In Backyard + Slow Leak In Basement

Greetings..

I have some slow leakage issues when it POURs and I mean POURS.. Normal rain is not a problem but the April spring showers are an issue due to the amount of rainfall and frequency of it.

I noticed the water isn't leaking from top to bottom(it is not running down walls of basement) but leaking out from the bottom where the wall meets the floor. Walls are made of those cement blocks, cinder blocks is it?

I have attached some pics of what my yard looks like during these monsoon periods. When Looking at pic of basement window, the leakage occurs to the immediate left of that window basin/hole area. What steps should I take to resolve this issue?

appreciate any input and advise!

oNe
Attached Thumbnails
Standing Water In Backyard + Slow Leak In Basement-6.jpg   Standing Water In Backyard + Slow Leak In Basement-9.jpg   Standing Water In Backyard + Slow Leak In Basement-10.jpg   Standing Water In Backyard + Slow Leak In Basement-13.jpg   Standing Water In Backyard + Slow Leak In Basement-14.jpg  

Advertisement

Sean Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,424

Those kids are having a bunch of fun and really aren't concerned.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 676

Looks like you have a few issues going on. Patio to home is sloped towards the home, and that nice looking play house occupies what looks like once was drainage swale. Need to get the flow away from the home
ZTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 206

Though it's hard to tell everything going on , I think Z is correct . IS that a swaled out path parallel w/the clothesline ? It APPEARS to properly head toward the opening in the rail fence ......why isn't it draining ?
You also appear to have a sloped area (behind the clothesline) draining onto a relatively flat lot . That's a lot of water that simply obeys the laws of hydraulic physics .
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 194

As others said, you are going to have problems with drainage - with that large slope acting as a rain collector. I think you need to install some drain tile along the base of that slope and have the outlet somewhere lower. Your soil may also be poor draining, which would also be a problem for getting rid of the water.
billtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,696

You may need to regrade the land so water does not collect near the house.

Also you should not have gravel or sand or mulch filled gardens or flower beds up against the foundation. These collect water which then takes its time finding the path of least resistance downward which for you means into your basement.

Advertisement