Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #1

Share |

standing water

Hello all,
Thanks for reading.

I have a pool of standing water that's about 4-6 inches deep in my backyard after the snow has melted.

The area is small (approx 10x10') so I'm wondering what the best solution would be to get rid of this water.

I thought about buying a utility pump or even digging up the sod and grading it such that the water would drain properly, however is it worth it?

Any other possible suggestions? picture to follow tomorrow

Last edited by edwardle; 04-27-2008 at 04:29 PM.
edwardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

standing water

Ayuh,....

Once the frost comes out of the ground,.... It'll just soak in,...
Or,....
It appears in your picture that you're only lacking alittle bit for it drain over under the fence....

The Sump Pump Idea is a total Waste of Time,+ Money in my mind.....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #3

standing water

Thanks for the reply Bondo, any suggestions as to what I could do? Should I remove a portion of the sod and grade it by hand?

Is there a possible way out with sand?

I appreciate the response.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

standing water

Do you have anywhere to drain the water?

If so, make it a permanent part of your yard because winter and rains will come again.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #5

standing water

it's supposed to drain to the edges of the property line and then out the front and back towards the storm drains, but that isn't the case right now.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #6

standing water

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardle View Post
Hello all,
Thanks for reading.

I have a pool of standing water that's about 4-6 inches deep in my backyard after the snow has melted.

The area is small (approx 10x10') so I'm wondering what the best solution would be to get rid of this water.

I thought about buying a utility pump or even digging up the sod and grading it such that the water would drain properly, however is it worth it?

Any other possible suggestions? picture to follow tomorrow

hi, is this the first time you having water on your back yard?
raul.0786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #7

standing water

If you can grade your yard by hand, that will be your most affordable option. However, if you can afford the dirt, add material to create the grade you want then re-turf.
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
remodeling pro

standing water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell Tarin View Post
If you can grade your yard by hand, that will be your most affordable option. However, if you can afford the dirt, add material to create the grade you want then re-turf.
Looks like the last thing he needs is MORE material. The grade is already too high at the house, there should be a minimum of 4 to 6 inches of foundation showing between the finished grade and that bottom course of siding. I would suggest removing dirt to establish grade for drainage. Regrading an entire yard by hand is pretty labor intensive. If you have egress, it may be worth hiring a Bobcat for a few hours. Have him bring over a few yards of sand, so that after he does the cutting, he can at least deposit the sand around for you, and you can do the finish grading by hand if you desire. Some of the Home Depots have rental centers, where you can rent a small stand on "mini Bobcat" for DIY projects (about $160/day in my area), but you need somewhere to dispose of the removed materials.
BY the time you pay for machine rental, pay someone to deliver some sand, and most likely pay to have the excess removed material hauled away, it is probably more effective to hire one guy with a truck and machine for everything.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 04-29-2008 at 09:30 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Mr_Build

standing water

Standing water can be toxic and have all kinds of issues. Try to landscape the yard to drain the water down hill. if you must put a draining ditch low enough to drain off the standing water.

For more info see Decking Materials and How To Landscaping at BuildDirect.com

mr_build is offline   Reply With Quote