Stamped Concrete Issues Can Anyone Help - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

stamped concrete issues can anyone help

Hi,
I have been remodeling coping around the pool and ran into some issues.
I am looking for technical explanation of what possibly went wrong. Pictures are attached. Edges of the coping are darker color than most of the slabs (smudges of some sort) probably resulted when cleaning was done?
There are a number of hair line cracks and I was wondering how concern should I be about those?
The concrete does not look anything as what I was expecting, it is dirty with black spots (sand or something else that was added to the concrete?).
Please advise.
Kostia

sorry this probably belongs to Concrete, Stone & Masonry
Attached Thumbnails
stamped concrete issues can anyone help-photo1.jpg   stamped concrete issues can anyone help-photo5.jpg   stamped concrete issues can anyone help-photo3.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by kostia; 06-22-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: probably should have put it into Concrete, Stone & Masonry forum
kostia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostia View Post
Hi,
I have been remodeling coping around the pool and ran into some issues.
I am looking for technical explanation of what possibly went wrong. Pictures are attached. Edges of the coping are darker color than most of the slabs (smudges of some sort) probably resulted when cleaning was done?
There are a number of hair line cracks and I was wondering how concern should I be about those?
The concrete does not look anything as what I was expecting, it is dirty with black spots (sand or something else that was added to the concrete?).
Please advise.
Kostia

sorry this probably belongs to Concrete, Stone & Masonry

What did you clean it with?

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #3

I did not. It was a work done by contractors if you can believe it. So I have no idea what they did. All I know is that it does not look anything what I was expecting or what i have see on pictures. If it would have been me than I would be less upset about it. It was a remodeling project that I paid for . I believe it is worse than what it used to be.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #4

am looking for technical explanation of what possibly went wrong. Pictures are attached. Edges of the coping are darker color than most of the slabs (smudges of some sort) probably resulted when cleaning was done?

This is what you wrote,and you also refer to "stamped concrete" but i don't see any??
Old 06-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #5

Great. That is exactly the problem. I know it does not look anything like what stamped concrete I was promised to have. The contractor Ferrari pools of Shrewsbury MA who used NE Hard Scapes as a subcontractor is telling me this:
"in my view everything is done as per our agreement. The coping is slightly different than in the pictures and at our showroom, partially due to the fact that it is only 1 ” – 2” thick, since we were replacing an existing coping, This will give a different appearance. ... At this point, I cannot continue to go back and forth on interpretation of color or shades. Any masonry product has variations, if you look at any pictures on a web site or in a brochure from the manufacturer, there will be a disclaimer on color variations. This is a natural concrete product that is subject to many conditions out of our control. "
The streaks along the edge is all over the edge of the pool those are the spots that I think they screwed up when pouring concrete and cleaning it? The black dots is a separate issue. I am trying to get technical information of the problem in order to have this fixed.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #6

Looks like you and your contractor have a disagreement,as to those slight cracks those are normal,and are shrinkage cracks.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #7

OK, so cracks are nothing to worry about at least that is good.
But that was one of my questions, you clearly did not think it was stamped concrete. So any opinions on what was done wrong? Why do I have streaks on the edge? What are those black dots (sand?) all over?
I am being unreasonable? Is this normal to happen when doing stamped concrete?

Last edited by kostia; 06-22-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
OK, so cracks are nothing to worry about at least that is good.
But that was one of my questions, you clearly did not think it was stamped concrete. So any opinions on what was done wrong? Why do I have streaks on the edge? What are those black dots (sand?) all over?
I am being unreasonable? Is this normal to happen when doing stamped concrete?

No that is not stamped concrete,and the black dot's look like sand,and no it's not normal in stamped concrete,google any stamped concrete site and there will be no comparison to what you have.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

Thank you very much for your reply. I know it does not look anything like what I was sold. I just did not know how much wrong it is.. I am at a loss of what to do...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply. I know it does not look anything like what I was sold. I just did not know how much wrong it is.. I am at a loss of what to do...

Do you have a picture of the coping that you chose to have then install,like i say it dosen't look like stamped concrete to me,but pictures can sometimes fool the eye,so if what you got was no where near what you wanted,you may have a case for small claims court.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #11

Here is one image from the web site of the sub-contractor that did the work
http://nehardscapes.com/Images/Stamp..._demo_img4.jpg

I know it does not look anything like this.
Small claims would not cover replacement cost but I am definitely considering all my options thus I am asking for advise. I want to know what possibly was done wrong to have enough support for my case.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Here is one image from the web site of the sub-contractor that did the work
http://nehardscapes.com/Images/Stamp..._demo_img4.jpg

I know it does not look anything like this.
Small claims would not cover replacement cost but I am definitely considering all my options thus I am asking for advise. I want to know what possibly was done wrong to have enough support for my case.
There's no comparision to the 2 pictures you posted,could it be the contractor and the sub contractor got things mixed up?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #13

You think? I have emails to prove it!
I just looked at the hair line cracks they are in a bunch of places some going through all the way.. I am trying to resolve it with contractor, but he is refusing to even come take a look..
Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
You think? I have emails to prove it!
I just looked at the hair line cracks they are in a bunch of places some going through all the way.. I am trying to resolve it with contractor, but he is refusing to even come take a look..

Well,it's just my opinion(and that's not worth very much),and the pictures you took are up very close,so from farther back they may look the same,the hair line crack is also very close.

I think your doing the right thing by trying to resolve it with the contractor,but if that fails you might want to try and get another company that doe's that kind of work to take a look at it,and see what their take is on it,of course if you have paid them for the work,i have heard people say that it constitutes acceptance of their work,but again it's only second hand information.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #15

I refuse to pay the balance of slightly under 20% until things are fixed. The coping does not anything like what I have expected in terms of how it looks. The quality of work as far as I can tell is un acceptable. I am trying to get other people views on the subject. All the pictures I have seen of the stamped concrete does not look this dirty neither does the up close picture from the web site of the contractor who did the coping. I am willing to accept a lot of things but I am concerned about cracks, dirty grout, and his unwillingness to admit that things are not the way it should have been done.
More pictures can be seen here https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...72847381754305

Advertisement

Last edited by kostia; 06-23-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Tags
concrete , edge , smudges , stamped