Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Sprinklers...replace or not?

I recently bought my first house and want to fix up the front yard. I have another thread with sod questions, but this one is about the sprinklers. The house was built in 1958 and like all the houses around here from that time (S. FL) there is a pump system for the sprinklers. The pump works great and I got the sprinklers running too. My question is, would you replace the existing system ie the lines while the yard is torn up anyway?or not fix what isn't broken? The lines are a soft rubber materiel not pvc. I fixed one break and now the system seems patent.
Thank you for any suggestions. I am trying to learn to ask first, so I don't end up redoing things.

kimbur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

Any idea what caused the break that you just repaired?

If the system is common in your heighborhood I would ask a long time resident neighbor or two if they have had any issues with thier system.

The pipe to replace what you have is not much cost wise, but if you do it by hand the digging could be quite a bit of work.

If you go that route dont forget to call the local utility marker before you start digging.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #3

I am not sure what caused the break. It was broken when I moved in, the part i patched was about a 5 inch section that had a u shaped crack. And I do not know how long it had been since any one used the sprinkler system. The house was vacant for 6 months before I moved in. And prior to that I do not know if they were using the sprinkler system or not.
kimbur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

If the rest of the pipe looks o.k. I would probably just leave it go as is.

Once lines are buried in the ground they have little issues unless hit by digging etc. I dont think freezing is an issue in your area so that shouldnt be a problem.

The only thing you'll probably have to do if installing sod is maybe add some risers to the sprinklers to bring them up to the new height of the sod.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #5

If that really is the original irrigation system, I would put in a new system if I had the extra cash. Just one less thing to crop up unexpectedly moving forward - but that's me. I like to tackle things in groups and if I had issues right after I just tore up the yard it would drive me nuts.

That said - there is definitely some wisdom in the saying, "If it ain't broke..."
Crashless is offline   Reply With Quote