Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sprinkler System or No Sprinkler System

Good day! So we just bought and moved into a house built in 1965. The house sat vacant for 2 years. On the side of the house in the backyard is a sprinkler system panel, we believe it to be an Optima PRT-4. We have not been able to get it to work yet. We also can not find any sprinkler heads. Not knowing how deep they could be buried, is there an easy way to locate them? Where should we start? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

hoppyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 544

The heads shouldn't be buried deep at all as the top needs to pop up to work. They are probably hidden because it sat for 2 years.

Do you know where your valve box(es) are? Might be round or rectangular. They might be located in the ground near your Optima.

You might also be able to trace it if you can locate where the sprinkler system is tied into your water supply.

Once you locate the valves and have turned on the water supply, the valves can be manually operated and that should cause your heads to pop up.

hoppyhere (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

I was in the same spot and couldn't find my master valve box so I started carefully digging from my backflow preventer down until my water line turned out towards the yard. I found my valve box about 6" under rock, landscape paper and dirt. Post pictures so we can help you thru it.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhere View Post
Good day! So we just bought and moved into a house built in 1965. The house sat vacant for 2 years. On the side of the house in the backyard is a sprinkler system panel, we believe it to be an Optima PRT-4. We have not been able to get it to work yet. We also can not find any sprinkler heads. Not knowing how deep they could be buried, is there an easy way to locate them? Where should we start? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!
Pages 8 and 9 may give you some answers in the link i'll post but your's is a discontinued product and i could not get the manual to come up.

http://help.rainbird.com/app/answers...X19LCJjIjoyMH0.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

is your system hooked up to city water? Or you pulling from a river,pond,lake?

Mine sat unused for a year after a flood. Once I got them going the heads popped up with 2 inches of silt on them. If they don't pop up, you'll find water pooling around where the heads are.
jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

As mentioned, if you can find the valves, there will be a manual bleed screw on the top of each that allows them to operate free from the panel. Usually they have about a 1/4" hex head but this could vary. There will be only one that looks different from screws for the housing. The valve will probably also have an flow adjustment handle, knob or large screw/bolt.

The valves for all stations could be nested together or they could be distributed remotely through the landscape. If out in the yard, they should be housed in irrigation boxes about with lids about 12" diameter or rectangular lids 12x18 or so.

Assuming there is also not a master valve that opens when each station valve does, you should be able to twist the bleed screw on the valves and at least hear sprinklers hissing and trying to activate. If there is a master valve, you will have to open it first. Find it, as suggested, working your way from the water supply.

Not sure what to say about the transformer but to check that it is plugged in and if an old analog timer the clock wheel should turn. You should have an illuminated display of some kind if it is digital. Then make sure you get current to each of the station output connectors when turned on. You will need an inexpensive voltage tester for this.

Assuming the valves work manually the next thing to check would be the solenoids that open and close them starting with making sure the wires from the controller are attached.

First thing is to locate the valves and the sprinklers though.

The sprinkler head housings for the turf are usually at ground level but they may have sunk down over time. There is a central core that should pop up when turned on. They may just be grown over. Shrub and ground cover heads should be easier to find and sticking out of the ground. Drip irrigation would be tubing on top of the ground.

Last edited by user1007; 07-29-2013 at 05:33 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote