Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sprinkler System

We are looking into putting in a underground sprinkler system and would like to do it ourselves. How hard is this to do and any pointers that can make the job easier so we don't have to dig it up and redo.

Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #2

Sprinkler System

I am in the middle of doing my first one right now, and it is really not that bad (after getting over the intimidation factor of actually doing it). We used rainbirds design service, which is free, and does a great job of identifying your needs. Even if you do not buy rainbird products, it still tells you everything you need.

http://www.rainbird.com/diy/design/index.htm

Also, I have read through Jess Stryker's web page a few times to make sure I know what I am doing. The two of those resources together was everything I needed to get moving.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

werc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #3

Sprinkler System

Thanks I will give them both a read.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #4

Sprinkler System

I'd like to make one suggestion, not having read the links that werc suggested. I put in my own a few years ago, and I made 2 mistakes.

1. Make sure you put the brain or programming device someplace convenient. Mine is not in a good spot. Give it some thought because you will spend some time fooling with it.

2. Make sure the outlet for blowing it out with a compressor in the winter (if you have a rude winter like we do here) is also in a convenient place. Mine is not. Give that some thought too, and don't make the same mistakes I did.

Otherwise mine works great.

I hope this helps,
march7
march7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #5

Sprinkler System

Thanks for the suggestions as we also have cold winters that is important as being able to get to the controls without having to be a acrobat.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #6

Sprinkler System

My sprinker system is acting funny. It's turned on, but the heads go up for a few seconds then back down. There is a valve at the side of the house that is spitting out water. Do I need to replace the valve or is there another way to fix this problem? Thanks, Kevin Moore
KevinMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
I do know some things

Sprinkler System

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMoore View Post
My sprinker system is acting funny. It's turned on, but the heads go up for a few seconds then back down. There is a valve at the side of the house that is spitting out water. Do I need to replace the valve or is there another way to fix this problem? Thanks, Kevin Moore
Kevin the valve spiting water does it look like the pic at the bottom?

If yes, try this work around until you can have a plumber inspect it.

Close both of the shut offs on the valve.
Quickly open the bottom shut off.

Hopefully the water is not coming out of the bonnet, if it is try opening and closing the bottom shut off quickly a couple of times.

If the water stops "gushing", slowly and i mean slowly open the other valve until the system is full. If the water has stoped test a few zones and check to see if the valve is holding water, if so your good to go but I would still recomend calling a plumber to inspect it.

That device (backflow) is there to protect the water supply in your home from contaminates found in the sprinkler lines, its not someting to take lightly.

A couple of things that can happen to that device are:

Winterized improperly, the parts inside could have freeze damage and need replaced.

Or what I am thinking by your discription is that mineral deposits have formed on the seal and are not allowing the device to seat itself. By closing the valves and opening you may be able to flush out the debris and the device re-seat itself.

Hope it helps, and still call a plumber.
Attached Images

Last edited by swade; 06-06-2008 at 06:31 PM.
swade is offline   Reply With Quote