Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Share |

Sprinkler leak

I decided to add a 2-1/2" riser to raise one of my rainbird sprinkler heads which had settled into the ground. The riser simply screws onto the barb connector and then the head screws onto that. Well, after screwing everything together, I tested the system for leaks by closing the top of the head valve (little pressure screw) and running that zone to sort of pressurize it. Well, water began dribbling out around the threaded riser. Tightening it more does nothing as water continues to run out and puddle up around the base of the head. What am I missing here??? I didn't use any teflon tape or anything like that because the riser is essentially the same thing as screwing on the head! Please help! Thank you in advance, Segal.

segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

Sprinkler leak

Try taping the threads. If it doesn't stop, it's possible there's a crack in the riser or sprinkler body.

djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

Sprinkler leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Try taping the threads. If it doesn't stop, it's possible there's a crack in the riser or sprinkler body.
I'll try the teflon tape, but I've always been under the impression that teflon tape is only to be used for plastic to metal, and not for pastic to plastic fittings, but if you say it's ok, I'll try it.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

Sprinkler leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by segal View Post
I'll try the teflon tape, but I've always been under the impression that teflon tape is only to be used for plastic to metal, and not for pastic to plastic fittings, but if you say it's ok, I'll try it.
I've used tape before without issue. I prefer to use the paste form as it takes up less space in the threads.
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djlandkpl For This Useful Post:
segal (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Sprinkler leak

From experience: Unless teflon tape is properly applied there is a good chance that a tiny piece of it will migrate into a lawn sprinkler head and render the head useless. I prefer to use a paste, the thicker the better on the threads of lawn sprinkler fittings.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #6

Sprinkler leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
From experience: Unless teflon tape is properly applied there is a good chance that a tiny piece of it will migrate into a lawn sprinkler head and render the head useless. I prefer to use a paste, the thicker the better on the threads of lawn sprinkler fittings.
I ended up using the teflon tape and the leak was solved. It's possible that the threads just weren't as clean as perhaps they should have been before the teflon tape, but after cleaning and taping, I've managed to get a nice leak-free connection, for now at least! Spinkler heads are relatively inexpensive and I've taken them apart before so I'm taking my chances with the tape, even if it doesn't happen to break off and migrate into the head. The heads do contain little filters anyway, so I'm hoping this wouldn't be an issue. While the paste is preferred, the tape is what I had and I've read that the paste can make the threads too slippery that it's possible to overtighten. At any rate, thank you for the post and perhaps the next time, I will try the paste