Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

spreading top soil

after building I really wish i would of paid a landscape company to come out and do a real nice finish grade ready to seed. but i was broke and took it on myself. i thought i did a good job, but after a year my yard looks horrible. there are high spots, low spots and hard gravely dirt. what can i do to fix this? i was planning on getting a big load of top soil and spreading it all over to even out the lawn. then i re-seed, fetilize and water better. what kind of lawn implement will work best to spread the top soil? im not going to admit the kind of stuff i came up with to try to do the job myself with.

THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Agent 000

Rewards Points: 250

spreading top soil

Depending on how big the yard is, you could rent a compact utility tractor that has a front end loader and a box scrape. The box scrape is commonly used to taper off high spots, move small amounts of dirt around, and the scarifiers (tines) can rip up the yard if need be. The front end loader can quickly scoop up your top soil and distribute it where needed. If you're not familiar with this type of equipment then it'll take a little practice to develop the correct technique to do all this... keeping in mind that you can tear stuff up very quickly if you're not careful.

SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 508

spreading top soil

You could try using a roller on the lawn see if that will take out some of the high and low spots. I have a neighbor who had that done a few months ago. A guy actually showed up with a roller like they do alleys with and went over his entire lawn. It did do a excellent job.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote