Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |

splitting branch

Had a tree removed recently, and apparently a falling chunk of that tree hit a nearby dogwood, which is sort of the jewel of our landscaping.

A medium sized branch of the dogwood (with strategic greenery on it - in terms of privacy block between us and neighbors) has a slight "split" in it, and is leaning down.

I've propped up the branch with a long 2x4, but am wondering if there is something I can do to help the hairline fracture heal faster/better?

bamaranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

splitting branch

You can bolt through it for support. This is just weakened for now, right? Not nearly broken off already?

Or it could be cabled for stronger support.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #3

splitting branch

The bolt is a good idea; it can be removed in a couple of years. Cables are fine, but run them through some water hose or LDPE pipe to keep the metal from digging, anywhere, into the tree.
After about three days the tree either started mending or it started forming a scar of extra bark. Either way, it should last a while longer.
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #4

splitting branch

Thanks,

Is there anything I can put on it to encourage/help the healing scab? Some sort of plant healing salve? Water?
bamaranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #5

splitting branch

On a smaller tree - main trunk- I used a metal rod along the trunk
I 1st wrapped the break with electric tape
Then also attached the metal rod along the trunk w/tape
I think I removed it about 2 years later
8+ years later the tree is still growing

I did not use anything in the break....or drill thru the tree
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

splitting branch

Drilling through and installing a threaded rod permanantly is an accepted practice. Alternately, one can install an eye bolt on two different limbs and attach a cable between them (somewhat like rigging on a sailboat or on a bridge). And no, drilling a relatively small diameter hole through the limb will not cause a problem. The limb will close that off and water and nutrients will go around. It's when you encircle the whole limb that you have a problem.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #7

splitting branch

Here are some solutions that include bolts and washers, glue, silicon caulking, galv. cable, and one with wrapping the break with wire (not recommended). Don't leave anything on that will collect water there to rot the bark- plastic, rope, etc.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

Gary
Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Don't know it all, yet!

splitting branch

GBR-
I'm going out on a limb and presume most everyone here knows how to do a Google search. Was there something in particular that you wanted us to read or did you expect us to sort through all the hits?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #9

splitting branch

I thought that was a fast way to get many publicized opinions on a fix rather than one way which could be wrong. An easy way to check. I went through the first page in less than 4 minutes. One mentioned not to wrap the bark with plastic that would hold the rain water close to the bark causing rot. You can gleam information very fast by entering the key words in the top search box, hit "show full or preview" and gain knowledge, like a "crash" course, I suggest you try it. The books open to the page with the "title words" so you don't have to read the whole book.

Your answer was spot on, another is not. This helps separate the good from the bad, quickly. One said to use Gorilla glue, another use silicon caulking only on the top split area to let water out below, another use stainless steel cable so as not to rust. A fine point but helpful if not mentioned.

Gary
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Don't know it all, yet!

splitting branch

Quote:
One said to use Gorilla glue, another use silicon caulking only on the top split area to let water out below,
This was somewhat my point. If someone is on here looking for information, I think it serves them better to provide what one believes to be a viable and productive solution rather than just point them to a lot of rather useless information and let them sort it out. Just my 2c.

Quote:
I suggest you try it.
It seems that you presume I don't know how to search the internet for information.

By the way, do you personally know anything about the OP's question since you have not actually contributed anything to this thread other than pointing down the road, "Go ask them."
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #11

splitting branch

Ouch! Sorry if I offended you in any way. This is a forum, some give opinions, others give information to construct a solution. I suggest you try it was in reference to finding your way around on the book review site, helpful hints to some that I learned. My first post was to the OP, not you. How you took it personally, I don't know, that is something of yours to review.

Gary
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
Don't know it all, yet!

splitting branch

So maybe I don't understand the focus of a public forum.

I have heard class instructors say many times that if you are wondering about something, then someone else probably is also. In that sense, I have presumed that many people read these threads because they are looking for information and while the information may not be directed to them specifically, they learn from it as well. I would think that information intended only for the OP would be sent to him as a PM.

Quote:
I suggest you try it was in reference to finding your way around on the book review site, helpful hints to some that I learned.
I really have no idea what this means. What is it that I am supposed to try? Book review??? By "books" do you mean the search results, or "hits?"

I'm not offended other than having wasted my time loading a Google search page with the usual plethora of rhetoric. Maybe it's just me, but if I ask someone for information and they tell me to look somewhere else instead of answering my question, frankly I presume that they just don't know, with one caveat:
My 7th grade teacher would always tell a student to "look it up" if asked how to spell a word or what something meant. However, she made sure that every student had his own dictionary in his desk. Her job was to teach us how to use a dictionary. I know how to search the internet for information. So why ask a question on a forum only to be sent to a google search?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #13

splitting branch

Back on topic: This Old HOuse had a segment with same issue (might try to search their site; perhaps there is a video). Arborist drilled holes, inserted nut and bolt to tighten up the split. He said not to use tar, roofing cement, pruning paint, etc...Just let it heal. Either it will or won't; time will tell.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Don't know it all, yet!

splitting branch

Quote:
Drilling through and installing a threaded rod permanantly is an accepted practice.
Quote:
Arborist drilled holes, inserted nut and bolt to tighten up the split.
Like I said.