Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

Share |

Spigot Timer Knocks Hard When It Stops?

I have a spigot in the back yard and I've attached a basic battery operated timer to it so I can automate the garden watering. It works fine but when the watering stops, it's like the valve slams shut. The pipe the spigot is attached to comes through the rafters in my garage and when the valve slams shut the whole pipe knocks. The pipe going through the rafters doesn't really appear to be attached very securely to anything, so maybe if I brace it to the rafters somehow it may stop/minimize the knock, but maybe not?

I'm familiar with water hammer. The plumbing in our house was doing that a few months ago but installing a new water pressure regulator solved that problem. Anyway, I thought I'd see if any of you have had the same kind of thing and if so, what did you do to stop it from happening. Thanks!

-seth

dezandseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezandseth View Post
I have a spigot in the back yard and I've attached a basic battery operated timer to it so I can automate the garden watering. It works fine but when the watering stops, it's like the valve slams shut. The pipe the spigot is attached to comes through the rafters in my garage and when the valve slams shut the whole pipe knocks. The pipe going through the rafters doesn't really appear to be attached very securely to anything, so maybe if I brace it to the rafters somehow it may stop/minimize the knock, but maybe not?

I'm familiar with water hammer. The plumbing in our house was doing that a few months ago but installing a new water pressure regulator solved that problem. Anyway, I thought I'd see if any of you have had the same kind of thing and if so, what did you do to stop it from happening. Thanks!

-seth
Get a washing machine hose water hammer arrestor. This has the same threads as a garden hose and spigot. Attach the arrestor to the spigot first, then add the timer unit.

oh'mike (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ

Get a washing machine hose water hammer arrestor. This has the same threads as a garden hose and spigot. Attach the arrestor to the spigot first, then add the timer unit.
Interesting! I'll check it out, thanks!!

-Seth
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It certainly would not hurt to secure that pipe to structure with strapping or something too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
dezandseth (05-03-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ

I knew about water hammer arresters, but didn't realize they were available as a screw on option for washing machines. I picked one up per your recommendation and just installed it on my spigot about an hour ago. Worked like a charm! Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

-Seth
The Following User Says Thank You to dezandseth For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-04-2013)