Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Share |

Somethnig for the dog...

Well, I have a dog and it's been an outside dog for the most part but comes in now and then, however if we leave her out she poops all over the lawn and it's a mess, we plan on sectioning off a portion of the lawn and laying down something (concrete? pavers? no clue!) so that it won't be too much of a problem to clean up, something that you can preferably take a hose to and not have to worry about.

The area I have is going to be about 20' x 14', so it's not that big of a problem, but I have a few questions.

Would it even be possible for me to do this myself? (Setting concrete down in an area of that size)

What would the cost be, and what would be a (if there is) more economical solution? This is pretty temporary, the house isn't great, it's my grandfathers, and he plans on eventually having it sold, it's not worth fixing, too many problems.

I've read about things you can just lay down like mats, but I'm not sure if they'd have anything that huge or if a dog would have at it, how it would do outside, and whatnot. Most of my cousins who have dogs had concrete put down, and it's aged nicely...

Pyrofyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
the Musigician

Somethnig for the dog...

you could get the mats like they use in horse stables, but they're pricey. orrrrr, stake a cheap tarp down and hope she doesn't tear it to pieces the first day! mine likes to dig, (husky-shepard mix... a Shepski!) she's getting better, but still has times when..... grrrrr
i'd like to concrete the whole area but it's kinda dumb since by spring i should be able to just let her out on her own.

DM

Old 12-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #3

Somethnig for the dog...

I guess I could try the tarp...

I was considering something like those grass pavers, but they seem to be just as much work...

I was hoping I could get away with getting free pallets (just about every store here gives them away, already water-treated) and then stack bricks or something on top, or just use them as is...

It's mostly a temporary solution, when she's outside (mostly an outside dog, a lot of allergic family members so we're trying to shift her to get used to being able to stay outside for 2 weeks if needed, although most of the year she will be inside) [She's a Labrador, I know she's a social dog, but it's not like I have the money to buy up a ranch and set her up with her own house or something, and even if I did not in a week :/

I looked at those horsemats and they're cheaper than the other options, but still a bit close...
Concrete will cost $1,560 for concrete mix alone if bought in 60lb bags here at Home Depot.
If I drive all the way to Lowe's and buy it in 80 lb bags it'll be about $760 (Lowe's is far though, and according to the estimates I'd need about 175 bags of the concrete mix, seems fishy to me, but what do I know?)

By the way, the enclosure we're looking to put her in is a 21' x 14' area, we're going to gate it off. I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to just gate her off for now and worry about the flooring later?

I realize that no matter what I do the grass will be gone, I'd prefer (greatly) to have something so that she doesn't crap dog poo in the house, and so that I can actually 'tell' where it is, but heh...

--
Okay, so I have no idea on the pricing of the "Clean Kennel"/"Grassy Pavers", but they seem like they'd make a good choice. Installation wouldn't be as tough as concrete (or so it seems!), and it seems better overall, as I could fill it with what I please, plus I could take ti apart and move it later if I decide to move her to another part of the yard... :S

Since they don't have prices, and when calling no one picked up I have no idea on a price, but if it's cheaper I'm probably going to try and score some of it, but I'll have to look around at some reviews and takes on it. :/

[Edit] I feel like such an idiot in regards to the title. My keyboard at work sucks, but seriously, a typo there can't be fixed :[

Last edited by Pyrofyr; 12-12-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
the Musigician

Somethnig for the dog...

please consider making her a nice warm and cozy doghouse.
and yes, you'll lose the grass either way. but it grows back..... and if you're selling soon,
not everyone is going to want to dig up 175 bags of 'crete! lol

DM
Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
the Musigician

Somethnig for the dog...

oh, and if she's anything like my shepski, she won't walk in her own poop and track it into the house, she'll most likely pick one area and use that only.

DM
Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #6

Somethnig for the dog...

Well, she doesn't step in it a lot, but she's quite awkward with her pooping habits, most animals poop in corners, she just poops wherever the heck she feels like it :| Even when enclosed in small areas... :S

Yea, I had thought of the concrete being picked up being a problem for potential buyers, it would be annoying that we'd spend over a thousand bucks for something and get a year out of it.

I've been looking through stuff like "Modular flooring options" http://www.optionspluskennels.com/kennelflooring.htm here, and they seem to be just about the price of, if not a little cheaper than other options...
To make things easier we're deciding to do about half of it, so we're going to do something more like 14'x10', would end up being about 630 bucks give or take. About a hundred cheaper than the other options.

By the way, I'm looking more for price than for efficiency. Trying to find something that I can pretty much wash off with a hose or something, we don't have fleas in our backyard, but we have a ton of friggin' spiders. My dog's on the heartworm pills either way, but I guess anything that's anti-insect is good (imo)
Old 12-13-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Somethnig for the dog...

Would'nt a shovel be cheaper? About $12

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #8

Somethnig for the dog...

ChrisN, has the right idea, I rake my dog's (2) pen and pick up with a shovel, actually, a dustpan works better. I'm not sure if you ever tried to get rid of dog stuff with a garden hose but I'm guessing its not going to work well. You'll just move the pile, not dissolve it. If you want to control the area, use a lead or fence in an area. As for just going in a certain spot, dog's not going in same spot if that spot is still "taken". Your biggest chore is going to be to pick up the stuff, one way or the other.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #9

Somethnig for the dog...

In that case, I'll probably go ahead and just fence in the area and clean it up weekly.

Thanks for the help everyone. :]
Old 12-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Somethnig for the dog...

In that case, I'll probably go ahead and just fence in the area and clean it up weekly.

That is what I do,not that big a job.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #11

Somethnig for the dog...

I did just find something that peaked my interest, but I probably won't bother.

They are these smaller concrete slabs pre-cut into squares, I could somewhat level the land, and push those there and put mortar in between, still seems like more than it's worth, so I'm gonna stay with the fence/gate...
Old 12-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Somethnig for the dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofyr View Post
I did just find something that peaked my interest, but I probably won't bother.

They are these smaller concrete slabs pre-cut into squares, I could somewhat level the land, and push those there and put mortar in between, still seems like more than it's worth, so I'm gonna stay with the fence/gate...
Are you talking patio pavers? To do that correctly it would be more work than the concrete, IMHO. You need to dig out the topsoil, put down 2 to 4 inches of gravel, compact it down, add 2 inches of sand and level. You do not put concrete/mortar between the pavers, just butt up tight to each other and fill with sand to lock the pavers in place. You also need to use a border on the perimeter to keep those pavers in place.

If you do concrete i would not try to mix that much on my own. By the time you rent a mixer and buy the ready mix, the cost will be pretty close to what you would pay to have it delivered ready to go. Just make sure you have your forms ready and a few Buddy's to help you out.

As far as resale of the property, try designing the kennel in such a way that the next owners could use it as a patio if they do not want a kennel.

All that being said, dogs are a lot of work. My wife owns two, a daschund and a lab/Sheppard/? mix. They are her dogs, I do not want the work of cleaning up after them, feeding them, bringing them to the vet and all the other things that go along with caring for a dog. She is very good with them and has trained them well. The daschund she has had 12 plus years and has only had three accidents in the house and that is when he was a puppy. The lab/Shepard/? mix she has only had for six months and so far she has only had one accident in the house.

Yes you must pick up after them even outside. Dogs are creatures of habit and usually tend to go in the same spot in the yard. They will not however stand in their own feces unless they have no other option, so they go to a new location.

Washing the kennel down with a garden hose would only be done after the feces are picked up, unless of course you want a really messy, STINKY slurry that you can run through a manure spreader.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #13
the Musigician

Somethnig for the dog...

again, please consider....
http://www.freeww.com/doghouses.html
http://www.woodzone.com/plans/doghou...ouse_plans.htm
http://all-about-dog-houses.com/docs...ouse-plans.htm
and tons more out there!

DM
Old 12-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #14
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Somethnig for the dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

Couldn't agree more. If you are going to keep your dog outside it must have proper shelter (Dog House). They must have a place were they can stay warm, get out of the sun, wind and rain.

Please do not build a kennel, put your dog in there and then forget about them.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be

Last edited by brokenknee; 12-14-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: correct typo
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #15
the Musigician

Somethnig for the dog...

there was a dog up the road from us a few years back...on a chain run all day. (at least it had a doghouse.) one day as i drove by, the poor thing had it's bowl in it's mouth looking at me drive by. broke my heart. the next time i drove by, well..... you know.

DM