Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

some random, general plant questions

didn't want to start several threads for some basic questions, figured I'd post them all here. Any responses, tips, or shots in teh dark are highly appreciated

1) transplanting plants - if I transplanted a plant (~3.5' tall croton in FL) recently w/o prepping it (only a root stimulator application during transplant and a weak fertilizer misting maybe 2X/week since) is losing leaves and I'm afraid it may get worse - anything that I can do at this point besides just keeping the soil proper, light liquid fertilizer applications misted on the leaves, and wait?

2) plant death?
Do plants 'die', for instance when a human heart stops, for all intents and purposes, that's all she wrote. Do plants have a 'critical point'/death point or do they just get progressively worse but can still be saved with the right care until they're just completely, visually, 100% dead.

3) When to cut a large palm branch?
I have a large-ish (maybe 15') palm tree, I believe it's either a majesty or a queen palm but don't think that matters. Anyways one of its 'arms' or fronds, a palm branch I guess lol, seems to be dying. The other arms/branches are all nice and green, one's going yellow fast (whole branch/arm). Should I cut that off, or let it do its own thing and fall (not in a dangerous spot or anything, it'd fall right on the driveway or street)?

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Kyle Emerick

Rewards Points: 75

1) Over fertilizing is worse than under watering. I would say to chill on the fertilizer and just water like its normal and see if it lives. Root damage may be the suspect...

2) I dunno if I wanna touch this one. Nothing lasts forever

3) I have several queens and I really only touch them when I see a branch getting brown. Then it gets whacked...

Old 11-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #3

good stuff!

About 'whacked', how exactly are you doing this? Rip it off, saw, twist?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Kyle Emerick

I use a tree pruner which is just a curved saw blade on the end of a pole. It also has a cutter built in that has a cord attached to it to get the small ones. Mine extends out to like 20'.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Landscape contractor

Hey, on #2, plants have 2 stages that they go thru before death can occur, wilt and permanent wilt. all plants will wilt on you if they don't get sufficient water. If you have a hydrangea that suddenly looks wilty, if you water it right away ( usually within a couple of hours) , the plant will re-hydrate. If you wait to long the plant goes into a state of permanent wilt, and that is the point of no-return. Perenials and tropicals can hydrate fairly quickly but deciduouse trees and shrubs are much slower and can die or be damaged easier
timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #6

very good to know!

I guess that's how I <inadvertently> kept it alive! I've been sowing seed for my winter grass here in FL (rye seed), but due to poor spread or germination rates, I ended up doing like 3 separate sowings (maybe 10 days apart each).

This kept me watering twice daily for a good bit, and that was twice daily that the croton would get a nice misting!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

For 1, we always use a dusting of bonemeal at the bottom of the hole when transplanting and good mix of compost and potting soil to fill... Once transplanted, we don't fertilize... the bonemeal and good soil mix should provide enough nutrients for at least a year.
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #8

see down here I almost killed a plant doing that! I'm from MA but this place is in FL, and I was doing that approach for some palms. They weren't looking too good, and it seemed the rich, dark dirt I *thought* was prime for growth was too compact of a soil for some of them! I had to mix in sand/perlite to a few specimens to keep them alive lol