Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Soilbuster!

There are a few products like this that "break up" clay soil and make it more "friendly" for growing stuff.

I quickly read a bag of it at Home Depot as I was picking up something else, and it said to simply spread it on the ground and water it.

Sounds like magic.

Do they work?

Old 05-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Soilbuster!

I don't know of the product you are talking about, but we used Liquid Aerator on our lawn and it worked great. Just spray it on with the Ortho Dial-A-Spray thingy (settings are on the back of the bottle), and by the next morning the soil was soft.

We sprayed the lawn with the stuff, then immediately put down grass seed, soil, and fertilizer and we have beautiful grass now. In most places anyway, rain storms washed some of the grass seed away but we are still working on that.

kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Soilbuster!

Forget all the magic chemicals and get some composted cow manure and peat moss. Work those in, and they'll greatly improve clay soil. Plus you won't have to worry about poisoning yourself or your pets with some crap from home depot.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Soilbuster!

Sure would like to know what the active ingrediants are in these "miracle" potions. Personally I don't even look at anything that seems too easy. Mostly I use gypsum on alkaline soils, or lime for acidic/clay soils.
Robert131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Soilbuster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert131 View Post
Sure would like to know what the active ingrediants are in these "miracle" potions. Personally I don't even look at anything that seems too easy. Mostly I use gypsum on alkaline soils, or lime for acidic/clay soils.
You'll never guess what Soil Buster is.http://www.simplot.com/turf/best/pro...t=1&prodid=192
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Soilbuster!

Aha! SoilBuster is a fancy term for gypsum. Those quirky marketing guys.
Does gypsum work to break up soils? It sure does, but not quite as easily as you might think. To give you an idea, we put gypsum on our golf greens at a rate of 10 lbs/1000 sf every month, mostly because our water is extremely high in salts. We also apply 2 lbs of potassium every month as well, then try to flush salts away with water. Gypsum does work, but its a very slow process, may take years. You can feel free to apply up to 25 lbs/1000 sf 3-4X's a year. It will not harm anything. If you are curious as if it works, take a soil sample now, before application, then take another one next year.

Robert131 is offline   Reply With Quote