Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Share |

Soil testing and lawn rejuvination

I did some searching and it looked like the place to start was a soil test at the local extension service. I took some samples and delivered them, called the next day and had my results. My soil is neutral, so I do not have to do anything.

But that is the only result they gave me, according to what I am reading it should also be tested for other things. But that is all the extension service will test for.

So where does one go to get complete testing done? I am in SW Florida, Ft Myers area. I am looking at putting in a Argentine Bahia seeded lawn, not garden.
JIm

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #2

That stuff is just pasture grass,it will grow anywhere.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #3

From what I am reading, Pensacola Bahia is pasture grass and Argentine is used in lawns.
JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The extension office should have a list of local soil labs. Otherwise search online or ask your research librarian. A soil lab will test for all key soil nutrients and give you specific recommendations as to what to add. Well worth the money and not expensive.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #5

QUOTE: So where does one go to get complete testing done?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Garden centers often have test kits and wally world had mine. There are people that will scoff at this method but it is basically the same procedure as a lab would use.

While you are testing do a soil structure test and take it to your extension agent to see what they can tell you. If they just roll their eyes your tax money is being wasted.
Attached Thumbnails
Soil testing and lawn rejuvination-soil-test-chart-4-17-09.jpg   Soil testing and lawn rejuvination-soil-test-samples-4-17-09.jpg  
Attached Images

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Ag extension offices in most parts of the country used to offer more extensive soil testing to homeowners. Most do not anymore because even if charging a modest fee they do not have the budgets to pay people and keep a full blown lab running anymore. A shame. The good news is, as I have mentioned before, a commercial soil lab will not be that expensive. You can save the cost many times over in plant material and wasted fertilizers.

Some of those nursery kits will work great. Just check to make sure they are current and the chemicals within the date range on the package. Fact is a comprehensive home test kit is going to cost about the same as a soil lab though.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote