Sod Beneath Pine Tree? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sod Beneath Pine Tree?

We are in the process of fixing up our backyard and we recently have begun making some changes to it, including the removal of a big pine tree.

It was a 40 foot white pine. they cut it down, ground down the stump and hauled it away. We've cleaned up a good amount of the chipped wood from the stump, but I'm sure there is still some in the ground.

Also, there is another pinetree nearby that will shed its needles from time to time over the area.

The area now gets sun though and is not shaded and "dead" like it used to be.

Will the soil in this area be too acidic to support sod longterm, either because of the needles still falling on it or because of the shredded stump?

Advertisement

nyycavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,168

Sod Beneath Pine Tree?

I can't speak for the experts, but when we lost a pine of similar size about two years ago, we cut it up and hauled it out of the way, dug out the stump and roots, rototilled, seeded, and strawed the area, and by last spring, it was almost impossible to tell where the tree had been. I had similar concerns, but the grass came back fine, with no special considerations.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Sod Beneath Pine Tree?

Quote:
We've cleaned up a good amount of the chipped wood from the stump, but I'm sure there is still some in the ground.
Ayuh,... I'd clean up ALL of the grindings, 'n shim up the area with fresh top dirt, with abit of lime added...
Then plant it with seed, or sod, your choice...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote