Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

So many tree stumps, what shall I do?

Hello kind folks, I'm doing some landscaping in my front yard (wife's orders) which involves removing a bunch of trees. There are so many trees in this one area that its starting to starve the surrounding area of sunlight. This area of the property sits actually lower then the rest of the lawn. So once my tree thinning is accomplished we will be adding top soil to bring it level with the rest of the lawn. I think because living on the lake level it makes this area of remarkably soft. This, in turn, doesn't allow me to get the Back-Hoe in to remove the stumps from the trees I cut. So my question is...Can I simply cut the stumps flush with the ground and back fill the area with top soil? Is this a huge mistake? I realize there is risk of sapplings growing from the stump, but if I keep on it will the stump eventually deterioratebelow ground?

Any suggestions for this situation would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance,

Bryan

flyultralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

You may have trouble growing grass unless they are well below grade. When they rot out you may have a sunken area where the stumps were. Best would be to grind them out. That said, I too would likely cut them low and fill over.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

If you dont want to cut them out and they are far enough from the house to not be a termite magnet... Cut em off flush, drill several 3/8" holes in the stump, fill the holes with full tilt Round Up, and cover.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #4

Check out my post on how to remove tree stumps. It's the simplest way and a great way to get the family together around a little camp fire.
westleykarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

westleykarcher, this is a seven year old thread. I doubt anyone is going to respond back. Especially the OP. Who has not been back since November 25th, 2008.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
chrisn (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,084

And another one bites the dust!!
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

Ah, but somebody did reply.
Attached Images

Last edited by westleykarcher; 06-09-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added jack
westleykarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 516

Does kind of make you long for the old days though... We cut down about 15 75'-100' pine trees back in the late 60's. Dad dug the first stump out. My grandfather and a buddy of his removed the rest. His buddy was an old school oil field guy. I was about 8 or 9 at the time so I am not sure what they used but boy the bang was cool. Stump came about 3 feet out of the ground and just laid there.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
Does kind of make you long for the old days though... We cut down about 15 75'-100' pine trees back in the late 60's. Dad dug the first stump out. My grandfather and a buddy of his removed the rest. His buddy was an old school oil field guy. I was about 8 or 9 at the time so I am not sure what they used but boy the bang was cool. Stump came about 3 feet out of the ground and just laid there.
It's difficult to imagine but dynamite was still used to remove stumps then.

And then everything went to hell in a hand basket and permission had to be granted to sneeze.

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote