So...I Built This Nice Gate... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

So...I built this nice gate...

and I want to run an informal path of irregular flagstone up to it from the street:
So...I built this nice gate...-dogs-16.jpg

My dilemma: The projected path is in an area designed to move water away from the lot during rain. We live on very heavy clay soil, an the lower half of the path (from about the halfway mark down to the sidewalk) falls about 16" over a run of 15'. Add to this the fact that the ground on either side of the pathway also slopes down toward it (as I hope this photo shows):
So...I built this nice gate...-dogs-15.jpg
and I'm wondering if I'll be able to put a flagstone path in there without flooding it out during our rainy season (about 30" per year). Any ideas on how to go about dealing with potential water issues, or if this is even worth trying?
I've looked all over the internet, but no luck with info on this so far.
Thanks.

Advertisement

clambake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

french drains run the lenght of the enclosed area then size it down out to the street under the area in front of the gate to street.the front area might be graded so the water rolls into the street

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting I put in some french drain work, and maybe grade that slope? What would you suggest I do to put down the walkway?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm a bit dense this morning.
clambake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,800

A French drain isn't going to that any good at all, a French drain only handles water under ground.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

From your pictures it appears that the general area slopes from the fence to the street. If I understand you correctly your concern is to not make the path the avenue for water runoff.

The solution is simple: just make sure the path is not the lowest channel to the street.

Consider putting some shallow "trenches" on either side of the path. These "trenches" just need to be be a bit lower than the flagstones. They can be fairly broad too, so you can plant grass or short groundcover in them to help control runoff. The proper term for these trenches is a swale.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Chicken For This Useful Post:
clambake6 (01-23-2014)
Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
DIY-er

I don't see a problem with the new pathway conveying the water to the street, that is what driveways and walkways are designed to do. As long as you don't have peastone or soil between the flagstone, but put cement between the stones, the water should run right off.

For an environmentally responsible solution, you might consider permeable paving that allows water to drain through the pavers, thus reducing the amount of water that goes directly to the storm sewers. Here are some products from Unilock http://www.unilock.com/default/produ...ers/permeable/

Kevin
www.home-additions-startup-guide.com

Advertisement

KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote