Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #1

Share |

snowblower problem

I have an old craftsman 20 incher. It has been pretty good up to now, but I am having a problem keeping it running. It will start after pressing the primer button alot but it wont stay running. I cleaned out the tank and the fuel lines but still have the problem. I'm thinking that something must have the carb all gunked up but wondering if anyone has anythoughts before I tear it down.
any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Denny

oh311mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #2

snowblower problem

It sounds like you are probably on the right track in regard to a fuel problem, but just to be sure, have you tried a new spark plug, and checked the spark? You'll also want to clean the fuel cap, because a plugged cap vent will cause the fuel to stop flowing. The other things that I would look at are the throttle/choke cable(s), to make sure they haven't moved, are tight, and not kinked, as well as carburetor bolts, etc., to make sure that nothing has vibrated loose. After that, I would run some Sea Foam through it, and see if that does the trick. I have no affiliation with them, whatsoever, but have had good results on a few occasions. Assuming tha this was not its' first outing of the winter, and the problem has just started, it seems unlikely to me that you should have to disassemble the carburetor.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
old guy contractor

snowblower problem

sounds like the float and/or needle valve might be stuck
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #4

snowblower problem

Dexter II and TCleve4911, thanks for the response. It worked just fine when I got home yesterday, went to fire it up last night and the problem started. I took the cap off to see if I had some sort of draft problem and that made no difference. I also have fuel in the bowl, but apparently not up into the carb inlet unless I pump the primer alot. When the primed in fuel burns up it shuts down, so I am figuring it is clogged inside someplace. I drained all the fule and sprayed some carb cleaner in it and it is sitting there soaking until I get home tonight. I will check bolts and cables and such though I did not think of that. I did not try a new plug either nothing was open at 10 pm If it doesn't fire up when I get home,,,,,,,,,,,
I think I'll remove the bowl and clean the needle valve and float up and see what happens? It's the type that doesnt have the adjustable needle valve and the bottom of the bowl. I think the bowl nut has some small holes at it's base, are those an issue?

edted to ask where do I get Sea Foam?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #5

snowblower problem

Can only vaguely recall the holes that you mentioned, but am thinking that you catch the gas there, once you loosen it.

My John Deere dealer, and at least one of the local yard and garden shops that sells mowers, etc. carries Sea Foam, and I may have seen it at one of the auto parts stores as well.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #6

snowblower problem

Got it squared away last night. The nozzle in the bottom of the bowl was jam packed with black crud, and the float was sticking a bit. A good scrubbing and re-assembly and it ran great while I cleaned up the mess outside.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
old guy contractor

snowblower problem

Good for you
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #8

snowblower problem

Thanks for the input, you were right on the float part.